PDA

View Full Version : Dog Holes - how many?

Roger Breshears
11-29-2008, 4:41 PM
I'm in the home stretch for completing my workbench. This is my first "real" workbench so I need some help in the one of the final design decisions. I am using the Veritas Twin Screw as the end vise and need to drill the dog holes in the jaw so I can finish the installation.

How many rows of dog holes should I go with? The workbench is 27 1/2" deep. My original design was for four rows with a spacing of: 3 1/4" <D> 7"<D> 7"<D> 7"<D> 3 1/4". My holes will be spaced 5 1/2" to avoid the base. When I look at the dog holes marked in chalk it looks like a lot. Is four rows too many? If I went with three and centered it that would leave the dog holes spaced at 3 1/4"<D>10 1/2"<D>10 1/2"<D>3 1/4". If you have three, does that work or would four be better?

Your input is appreciated!

Roger

John M. Smith
11-29-2008, 4:49 PM
I only put one row at the front of the bench. I guess I use it more like a traditional tail vise. I figured I could always add more later if I wanted them. Kinda hard to take them out if you decide you have too many:o
John

Bill Houghton
11-29-2008, 5:16 PM
but I suggest you want the spacing between holes in the row to be not more than half the travel of the vise. Anything less, and you either spend too much time cranking the vise out, or find, as I have, that some boards don't quite fit and you have to put in scraps of wood to fill out the distance.

Jim Becker
11-29-2008, 6:50 PM
I do have three rows on my bench, but I don't have a tail vice and use WonderPups for that function if I need it. Three rows gives me spacing that works with both narrower projects and full depth cabinet needs.