PDA

View Full Version : Hook and Loop or PSA for Random Orbit Sander

Scott C. Williams
11-29-2008, 3:42 PM
I am in the market for a ROS but haven't decided which type of sanding disk to puchase. One that requires a hook and loop disk or one requiring a pressure sensitive adhesive. I have been watching the thread concerning make and model of sander, but nothing is noted regarding disk preferrence. What does everyone prefer and why?

Von Bickley
11-29-2008, 3:47 PM
I use the hook & loop. Just jerk the old one off and stick on a new one. :D

Bruce Page
11-29-2008, 3:48 PM
Scott, I have both. I started out with PSA but I much prefer the H&L for ease of changing disks and its reusability. On the down side, the softer H&L disk & pad can roll over an edge if you aren’t careful with it.

Andy Casiello
11-29-2008, 3:54 PM
I have both also, and MUCH prefer hook and loop. The sandpaper NEVER comes off until you want it to, and when you want it to, it comes right off easily. No brainer.

Mike Henderson
11-29-2008, 4:21 PM
I much prefer H&L. The only disadvantage is that the pad can wear out - then the paper won't stick any more and you have to replace the pad. But as far as I'm concerned, that's a small price to pay for the convenience of H&L.

Mike

Bill Arnold
11-29-2008, 4:25 PM
Hook & Loop. I've used both, but prefer H&L so I can change grits and save disks. Replacement pads are available at a reasonable cost, if you wear one out.

Ed Kilburn
11-29-2008, 4:26 PM
Another vote for H&L.

Derek Stevens
11-29-2008, 7:57 PM
I'll be the lone voice for PSA. I don't like the feel of h&l, and I find that the pads wear out, and although replacements for the h&l are available it annoys me that yet another purchase is needed to keed a tool up and running. I simply haven't needed to replace my PSA pad, though I have burned out some sanders. I keep the dead ones for swith=ches, cords and, yes, if I ever need, a replacement pad.

Bruce Wrenn
11-29-2008, 9:23 PM
I've converted all my ROS to H&L. PC now makes a 5-8 hole pad that allows for using either 5 hole, or 8 hole disks. Even though I only buy 5 hole, I'm changing out my pads as they wear out, just in case I happen on a deal on 8 hole paper.

Jim Becker
11-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Hook and loop for sure...much easier to change and reuse abrasives.

Steve Clardy
11-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I'll be the lone voice for PSA. I don't like the feel of h&l, and I find that the pads wear out, and although replacements for the h&l are available it annoys me that yet another purchase is needed to keed a tool up and running. I simply haven't needed to replace my PSA pad, though I have burned out some sanders. I keep the dead ones for swith=ches, cords and, yes, if I ever need, a replacement pad.

Ditto that.
I have both, but prefer PSA due to the cost of paper.

Box of 100 PSA is slightly more in cost than a box of 50 H&L.

Then the pads. I've only worn out 1 PSA pad. It literally fell apart after 2 years of hard use. The H&L pads I had to replace fairly often.

glenn bradley
11-30-2008, 11:23 AM
+1 on H&L. The only tme I have had trouble was with some "On Clearance" sanding discs.

Andrew Joiner
11-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I've got 2 h&l and never save a disk for reuse. I toss them when used up. I will go PSA next time to save on the cost of abrasives.

H&L seems to be the prefered standard more and more so the volume/demand may get the cost down close to PSA disks someday.

Mark Smith, too
11-30-2008, 12:55 PM
One other plug for H&L: local availability of discs. My local BORG stocks H&L almost exclusively. I found it tough to find PSA so converted my PSA sander to H&L.

Bruce Wrenn
11-30-2008, 1:06 PM
I've got 2 h&l and never save a disk for reuse. I toss them when used up. I will go PSA next time to save on the cost of abrasives.

H&L seems to be the prefered standard more and more so the volume/demand may get the cost down close to PSA disks someday.Here, Klingspor charges the same for PSA, and H&L. So price isn't a factor for me.