PDA

View Full Version : In other news:

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-29-2008, 1:56 PM
Full-size cardboard figure causes NJ bank standoff
From Associated Press
November 28, 2008 8:07 AM EST
MONTGOMERY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - A standoff at a New Jersey bank is over after police learned a "person" seen inside was actually a full-size cardboard figure.
Officers went to the PNC Bank in Montgomery Township on Thursday night after an alarm went off. They saw what they thought was at least one person through the windows of the bank, which had its blinds drawn.
The area was sealed off and three nearby apartment buildings were evacuated as a precaution. Meanwhile, authorities used bullhorns and made telephone calls in a bid to make contact with whoever might be in the bank.
After repeatedly failing to get a response, a SWAT team entered the building and discovered the cardboard figure.
It was not immediately clear what set off the bank alarm.

Jim O'Dell
11-29-2008, 2:24 PM
And I bet the report from the Police and SWAT teams say it was a planned exercise. :D:D:D That's just too funny. Jim.

Bill Cunningham
11-29-2008, 11:27 PM
In the Nanny state of Toronto Canada, during a stand off, the police 'service' evacuated houses on both sides of the suspects house, because it would seem that the suspect was armed... with a knife!! :mad:..

Tom Veatch
11-30-2008, 12:12 AM
In the Nanny state of Toronto Canada, during a stand off, the police 'service' evacuated houses on both sides of the suspects house, because it would seem that the suspect was armed... with a knife!! :mad:..

At first gasp, that does sound like a little bit of overreaction, but we both know our public service bureaus never, never overreact.;)

Actually, the evacuation may have been a reasonable precaution. I know absolutely nothing about the incident or about police procedures in Toronto, or anywhere in Canada, for that matter. But in virtually all US police departments, I believe departmental policy allows the use of deadly force (e.g. firearms) if an officer's life is endangered. I'm sure guidelines differ somewhat in different locales, but, usually an officer is justified in assuming his/her life to be in danger if an belligerent, aggressive knife wielder approaches within some specified distance.

Could be the evacuation was done in anticipation that there might be shots fired before the incident was closed.

David G Baker
11-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Tom,
My thoughts exactly.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2008, 1:04 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how people feel free to criticize police officers.

If they fail to evacuate bystanders and an innocent bystander gets injured, they failed to handle the situation correctly.

If as a matter of policy, the police evacuate and it turns out to be cardboard figure and a misfire on a banks alarm system, it is overreaction or their stupidity.

Of course, it's seldom the critics have to handle situation where their own lives or the lives of the public are in jeopardy.

It's easy to be a critic. Harder to "Protect, defend and enforce".

BTW.....I have never been a police officer..I don't have the patience for handing jerks and idiots..but I proudly have a son and daughter who are or have been.....

Pat Germain
11-30-2008, 11:17 PM
I have much respect for law enforcement officers. I rarely criticize them as they are almost always just following standard procedures or doing what they're told by their superiors.

But that was still a funny story. My wife works at a bank and she also found it funny. I'll bet the officers involved are still laughing about it. :)