PDA

View Full Version : Antique pine table top dent

Gary McNair
11-29-2008, 1:38 PM
Hello
Newbie here. I have a dent- half moon shaped, from a wine bottle being dropped onto our antique pine dinning room table. If it's 1/32nd of an inch deep, I'd be surprised but off course it is very obvious. It's a natural finish, we use Briwax on it.
I've taped off the area, sanded with 400 grit, then 1500 grit, although it's starting to look better, I'm curious if the dent can be raised somewhat with water or another chemical?
If not, I'll wax the spot and live with it
Any comments or suggestions here?
Thanks in advance
Gary

Jim Becker
11-29-2008, 2:55 PM
You can try a little moisture and heat...from an iron, but it might also cause problems with the finish if this is indeed an antique table.

Steve Schoene
11-29-2008, 5:00 PM
Is the wax the only finish? Is so that would allow a little moisture to lift it--a couple of drops in the dent, and then cover with several layers of paper towels before using the tip of an iron. Gentle is the watchword.

Frankly, with a pine top I'm surprised that an antique table hasn't accummulated dozens of dents of at least 1/32 depths around the surface.

Mac McQuinn
11-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I do these quite often on gun stocks and as long as the wood fibers are not cut, a damp washcloth and a iron will removed them. It may take two or three applications. The problem is it will more than likely remove any hard finish in the area. Pine is actually one of the easier woods to pull dents from.

Good luck,

Mac

Gary McNair
11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks to all who have replied -all good stuff. The folks that built this table aren't far from us. I'll check with them on Monday to confirm the finish and to get their read on the problem.
Gary