PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Segmented HF

Ken Glass
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Gang,
Here is a Cherry segmented Hollow Form I just completed. Note the half moon segment center right. I thought that was an unusual piece. Its about 1/4" thick and is 7" in diameter and 6" tall. Finish is Beall buffed with all three grits. "Thanks, Malcolm for your great book!" Your comments are welcome. I still need some better light in my photo tent, but will work on it.

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Ken, I’m glad that my book has been helpful.

FORM, JOINERY, AND WOOD GRAIN ALIGNMENT. Your joinery and consistent alignment look great. To my eye, the form could be better. But that’s just a personal preference. In general, I don’t care for unnecessary feet. With a tall shape, a flared-out foot is often required for stability, but with this shape, the foot is sort of an add-on. Think of it this way – If you had turned this from a solid block of wood, would you have shaped it the same?

Let’s see some more.

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Nice hollow form Ken! Really good looking wood and being cherry - you know it is only going to get better looking with time! Nice work!

Mike Golka
11-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Nicely done! Looks great and like the master said technically a fine job.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Ken,

I like it. The joints look great. To me that would be the most technically challenging part of the process.

Nicely done!

Ken Glass
11-29-2008, 1:36 PM
Thanks all,
I think I really like Segmented hollow forms. This is my second one, and I think I am really learning a lot on each one. I think having a 18/32" drum sander has a lot to do with the fit. I also like the idea of working with KD lumber and being able to leave it for awhile and come back to the same shape I left it in. Malcolm, you are right about the form, I need to decide the shape before I start the process of ring sizes, and not be left with a shape I don't want. I really need a good segmented software program that will allow me to layout the form I want before I start. Can you suggest one? Thanks for your comments.

Richard Madison
11-29-2008, 11:51 PM
Ken,
Using a solid chunk of wood I have an idea of what I want to make, but the end result sometimes varies a bit depending upon what that piece of wood will "give me". For segmenting I usually make a full scale drawing of the intended result and decide on material (ring) thickness and material width required for each ring. Sometimes calculate linear feet of a particular width of stock required. For me this is easier and faster than learning to use a piece of software. And of course if I had money to buy software, I would spend it on wood instead.

Your top ring appears to be one piece. Are the joints that good?

Jim Kountz
11-30-2008, 12:08 AM
The Woodturner Pro suite has been very helpful to me and easy to use. Find it here-->>
http://www.woodturnerpro.com/

Dewey Torres
11-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Turners never cease to amaze me. Excellent work Ken:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Very well done. That is a beauty.