PDA

View Full Version : GRIZZLY G0586 vs G0490

Edward P. Surowiec
11-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Which one would you buy?? With a Cashback award plus a $30 Ebay discount I estimate that the cost of a G0490 is an additional $172.50 .
The G0490 is one (1) inch longer, has a 3 HP motor, a Parallelogram Table, a larger base cabinet, and Built-IN mobile base.

It seems that there are many reported problems with the G0490. Most of them due to shipping or poor packaging. Grizzly reportedly provides good to excellent Customer Service, although some Creekers became frustrated with the response time.

So which one would you buy??
Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Ed:confused:

Brad Townsend
11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I have a 586 which I bought long before the 490 was even introduced. It's a fine machine and I have no complaints at all with it. Having said that, I think the additional power and features of the 490 are worth the extra money if you are willing to pay for them. As for the complaints with shipping damage, etc., there were a lot of those with the 586 when it first came out. Mine arrived with a dented base cabinet that had to be replaced. Griz took care of it in a prompt and professional manner. Bottom line; They are both good machines. Get the one with the features and price you prefer.

glenn bradley
11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
There have been a few problems reported in the last few weeks which is quite disturbing. If you do a search you will find positive reviews on the 490 going back for years. This is part of why I got the G0490X. I got mine a few months before the first of the recent problem posts here. Really love it. With the spiral head it is not quite a direct comparison but here are a few things that pushed me to the 490:

P-beds - Although most never need to align their beds, I never wanted to have to go through some of the things I've read here.

Tall fence - I just love that little bit extra and could use a bit more.

3HP - I have used 2HP machines and they are fine just don't ask me to give one of my ponies back though ;-)

Mobile base - My jointer position parallels my lumber storage wall. To get to the wall; drop foot, swing jointer to the left, return when done. Very easy.

Spiral head - This one doesn't count on your choices but was an absolute gotta-have for me. However, even an expert would probably have had nightmares setting knives on my old jointer. I never want to set knives again although it looks pretty straight forward on a quality machine.

Best of luck on an exciting decision.

Sonny Edmonds
11-29-2008, 11:15 AM
With power tools, bigger is always better! :rolleyes:

(Not so with burgers. I miss my double quarter pounder with cheese. :o)

John Hedges
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Which one would you buy?? With a Cashback award plus a $30 Ebay discount I estimate that the cost of a G0490 is an additional $172.50 .
The G0490 is one (1) inch longer, has a 3 HP motor, a Parallelogram Table, a larger base cabinet, and Built-IN mobile base.

It seems that there are many reported problems with the G0490. Most of them due to shipping or poor packaging. Grizzly reportedly provides good to excellent Customer Service, although some Creekers became frustrated with the response time.

So which one would you buy??
Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Ed:confused:

I have a 490 and I would NOT recommend it. The problems on this machine have been well documented. I can't remember another machine that I have seen chronicled here and elsewhere with so many problems. Of all my large tools this is the lowest quality that I own. I would recommend going used, and if you want new I would suggest staying away from the Chinese made machinery. You definitely get what you pay for.

Cary Falk
11-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Ed,
If you decide to go with the G0490, you might want to search E-bay for the Shop Fox W1741. I got one for $680 shipped from Bibb Tool less than a month ago. That was cheeper than I gould get the Grizzly due to shipping and tax. I am more than happy with it. It runs smooth as silk.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0441.jpg

John Stan
11-29-2008, 2:56 PM
I have the 0586 and have been very happy with it.

Brad Townsend
11-29-2008, 3:35 PM
and if you want new I would suggest staying away from the Chinese made machinery.
The 490 may be an inferior machine. Certainly you would know about that. But the Chinese can manufacture to whatever quality standard the importer asks, be it Harbor Freight or Powermatic. Being from China in itself does not make it inferior. Besides, if he limits himself to non-Chinese made machines, his choices are going to be somewhat limited.

Anthony Whitesell
11-29-2008, 8:03 PM
Of course bigger is always better. Two rules I use for buying tools. First, buy when you need it and not before (if you buy something you don't need, then if you need something else you may not have the money for it). Second, always go one bigger. I built a sled for my planer to do face jointing, so I was really in the market for a 4" jointer for the edge jointing. But the tables on 4" jointers are pathetically short, so I looked at the 6" jointers. Then I did my upsize and got the G0490. It hurt the wallet for a while but that's subsiding now. My first three uses of the jointer would have been handled by a 4" machine, but come use #4 and I was running 7 1/2" stock. Very glad I didn't get the 6" machine.

As for the specific machines. I believe that there are lots of happy people and a few broken G0490s. I do believe that Grizzly has a packing and/or shipping issue with the G0490. As I recall, one bed wasn't fastened down but wasn't damaged (that was mine), a broken casting on the bed, a few damaged bases due to shipping issues, a damaged base due to motor packing issue, and a few damaged switch podiums. I also think the G0490 is more popular than the G0586 which will also alter the 'results' of any survey for problems with the machines.

Personally, I believe the G0490 to be a fine machine and I'm sure the G0586 is as well.

Stephen Edwards
11-29-2008, 10:36 PM
The 490 may be an inferior machine. Certainly you would know about that. But the Chinese can manufacture to whatever quality standard the importer asks, be it Harbor Freight or Powermatic. Being from China in itself does not make it inferior. Besides, if he limits himself to non-Chinese made machines, his choices are going to be somewhat limited.

I agree on both points. I have some very good Chinese made tools and some very bad ones. In my opinion, it's all about the specs to which they are manufactured.