PDA

View Full Version : Did a dumb thing and now I need some help

GLENN THOMAS
11-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to wire a remote switch to my Nova 1624 and in the process I shorted out the magnetic switch and it is completely toasted :eek:. The switch is a double pole switch so there are 4 contacts 2 for the hots and the 2 neutrals. I figured I would just get another DPST switch with the correct ratings and I would be back in business. Every DPST switch that is not a magnetic switch has the 4 contact but the one I fried has an additional contact :confused:. The wiring diagram on the side of that switch has it labeled as being connected to A1, which goes down into the motor and you can't see what its connected to. From what Ive been told this A1 goes to a thermostat tied into the run windings of the motor and the other end goes to the coil on the mag switch. This makes sence to me because I took the mag switch apart and verified that it does go to the coil in the switch :rolleyes:. So if the thermostat on the run winding get to hot it opens the circuit which cuts power to the coil in the switch and in turn shuts down the motor untill everything cools off. I installed a regular DPST switch and left A1 from the motor disconnected and everything work just as it always has. After I saw that all appeared to be good I made a remote switch, hooke it up averything works just like I wanted it to. So here are a my questions.

1. Is my understanding of the thermostat and magnet switch correct?

2. Do motors in general have some standard as far as labels on a wiring diagram ? I would really like to know for sure what A1 is.

3. I like the regular DPST switch better than the magnetic switch because it doesnt revert to the off position when using the second switch. Besides not having any thermal protection, are there any other risks in leaving A1 disconnected?

Any facts, thoughts, opinions or wise cracks would be greatly appreciated.

G.T.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Glenn,

The main reason for a magnetic contactor is safety. It is there so that in the event that a momentary power lost takes place, the lathe will remain off until manually restarted......and to protect your motor in the event of a over temperature condition.

My recommendation is to order a factory or direct replacement and use it.

Eugene Wigley
11-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Glenn, Ken is correct. You should replace the damaged motor controller with a new one from the factory or a like replacement. If the new controller provides overload protection it should be set at the same value as the original.

For a remote or secondary cut off switch you should get a normally closed momentary contact push button switch and series the coil voltage for the motor controller thru that switch. When you push the button it will drop the coil on the motor controller. When you relaese the button it will return to a closed position and allow the motor to be started in the normal manner. I would put the remote switch in a box wth a magnetic mounting and use flexible cord for the wiring. This will allow you to place the remote switch anywhere on or near the lathe. Good luck.

GLENN THOMAS
11-30-2008, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think you both are right. The last thing I want to do is buy a new motor. Ive done some research on the switch and finally found some info on it. It looks like it might be a new design or new style. It also looks as though there may be one just like it that allows for a remote to be connected.

Thanks again
G.T.