PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. I'm NOT oncall so it has been a GREAT weekend. No shop time this weekend as I have been needing time to recover from the past 3 weeks work schedules and just plain Ol' needed a break. I have been both physically and mentally drained (no puns from you Terry Hatfield or John Miliunas ;) ) from the past weeks work for "work" and sometimes ya just hafta say...enough is enough...

The In-Laws are visiting with us this week, so I don't guess I'll get much shop time in this week. I will be shipping out more Freedom Pens this week.

So what did YOU do over this weekend....?

Best of weeks.......

Dan Bundy
06-07-2004, 7:20 AM
Only yard work this weekend, but last weekend I finished this bed. It's the Woodsmith 108 model. Made from cherry. My biggest project to date. I'm pretty pleased with it. A couple of "oops" but nothing serious. DB

Fred LeBail
06-07-2004, 7:26 AM
No shop time this week-end, " bill paying job" had to be taken care of. But off now for 4 days.Should get some shop time.
Fred

Rob Bourgeois
06-07-2004, 8:24 AM
Finished installing slightly more that 550 square feet of Swiss lock laminate wood flooring. Now all thats left is to install the moldings around the rooms.

Should be able to have them painted and ready to lay by Friday. Going to spend the rest of the time catching up on neglected yard/garden work.

Mark Bachler
06-07-2004, 9:17 AM
Got the DC ductwork ALL done!! Also got my new (minor gloat) Maggi / Steff 2044, 4 wheel, 4 speed, 1 hp power feeder put together & ready to mount to the MM T-50 shaper. Took "ol' whats her name" fishing on Sat. & Sunday evenings & limited out on some decent walleyes. All & all a good weekend.

http://www.wmdusa.com/m2044.html

Russell Svenningsen
06-07-2004, 9:34 AM
Took Saturday and Sunday afternoon and did some very much needed shop/tool maintenance. Sanded, smoothed, and waxed my bench. Cleaned, scoured and waxed all cast iron tools. Cleaned out the guts of the machinery, (dust, etc). Got everything perfect, then played some more with my new Delta 22-580 planer(stealth gloat), planing down some purty maple for a blanket chest for SWMBO and the kids. Finished milling the parts for a Mission-style bookcase for my son..........second set of rails...........don't ask.

All in all, a productive weekend. My wife, a neat-freak extraordinaire, even walked out to the shop, took a look around(hands on hips.....you know what I'm talking about) and said it looked fantastic.

Will wonder never cease................

Russell

John Miliunas
06-07-2004, 9:50 AM
Well, miracles DO happen! I ripped out the old bathroom cabinets, sink, etc... and installed my shop-made replacements! Not a miracle in itself, but THIS is: They FIT! :D :D :D Also managed to do the plumbing end of it without assistance from my plumber friend, so I was kinda' proud of myself, especially when I found that I had the "hot/cold" hooked up in the proper orientation! Hooked up/mounted two new light fixtures in there and started on the drywall work on the opposite wall. A little sore today, but it was worth it! LOML is happy. Also went and did some testing of riding mowers. Hope you all have a great week! :cool:

Scott Coffelt
06-07-2004, 9:54 AM
Unloaded 1,000lbs of river rock around the yard by bucket. Went to load the wheel barrel and noticed one tire was flat and it required taking off and heading to the John Deer store for them to reseal (tubeless model). Decided I didn't want to stop as there was a chance for thunderboomers. Of course, no real rain hit and I would have been fine.

The rest of the weekend was just pure laziness, I sat on my big butt al day Sunday. I guess just trying to catch up on energy and preparing for what I suspect will be a long week at my paying job.

Jim Becker
06-07-2004, 10:05 AM
It was a somewhat "dank" weekend here in SE PA with rain most of Saturday. The good news is that it meant time in the shop. The bad news is that I was unable to proceed with planned work on the buffet due to a misbehaving switch on the FS350. The good news is that the Stubby was working perfectly...so spinny things were on the plate for the rest of the weekend. I finished up a nice spalted maple hollow vessel that I started the previous week. Due to some unfortunate tear-out issues below the rim that could not be resolved, this is more of a form study piece, but will look great on a shelf somewhere.

After getting the lawn done on Sunday, I also got a large, 15" diameter Bubinga platter turned, sanded and ready for a little carving to mask a small crack. (I didn't want to reduce the diamter by two inches to get rid of the crack that was internal to the wood) This was the first time I found an almost immediate need to wear my dust mask, even when cutting with a gouge...I guess Bubinga is a species that I'm more sensitive to. The picture shown is after completing of sanding to 600. The tenon was left on temporarily so I can remount on the Talon chuck to reverse accurately onto the vacuum chuck for touching up the back side and removing said tenon inside the foot.

The DVD of the week was Big Fish...great movie. Tim Burton really has an amazing way of combining the surreal with the real.

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 10:07 AM
See my Carpet Install in the OT section along with the last post in my Faceframes... thread. :D

Spent Sunday with the wife at the San Jose Home and Garden show and afterwards walked around with her under the gorgeous weather we had along the river and various parks. We then went and caught the third installment of Harry Potter...pretty good, pretty good.

It was an excellent weekend, had and got a lot of stuff done! :D

Rob Russell
06-07-2004, 10:18 AM
LOML and I went to my Dad's cottage, tore out 25' of overgrown bushes/shrubs/flowers around the porch; got it to the landfill (recycling portion!); graded; planted hydrangeas; installed edging and landscape fabric; and, picked up and spread 1/2 yards of crushed stone between 8:30 Fri nite and 4:30 Sat afternoon.

Took her out to our favorite seafood place Sat nite and we slept in Sunday.

Steven Wilson
06-07-2004, 10:53 AM
I installed most of the remaining DC fittings and finally got to exercise the new combo machine. The sliding table is great but will take some getting use to. As for dust - nada, none, zip. I had picked up a couple of shaper cutters from Felder during their anual sale and decided to make a couple of boxes for them. Nothing fancy, just baltic birch with box joints. It did however make me get a few tools out that I haven't use much this year. Of course the combo machine was used, and the Leigh jig came out to make box joints, the router table was used to chamfer the edges, and the Oneway came out so I could turn a couple of 30mm dowels. It was nice to get something done besides machine setup.

Dick Parr
06-07-2004, 3:45 PM
Nice looking turnings Jim.

Dan Mages
06-07-2004, 3:48 PM
I have two of the 4 boards glued up for the shelf I'm building. I need a little more bloodwood to complete it.

Dan

Tyler Howell
06-07-2004, 4:10 PM
Bob didn't ask us what we were doing this weekend so I didn't write anything down. Wandered aimlessly for two days.

Actually started off the weekend with my daughters and respective SOs took them all to Shrek 2. If you haven't you must. I laughed so hard I hurt my self. # 1 is a must or you will miss a lot of the story. It was very festive at the Cinema 16. Opening night for Harry Potter. Lots of die hard fans all dressed up. Fun to watch the drama on a hot summer night.
Good shopping on Saturday. More Damsel rescuing Sunday. Some playing in the garden. Tonight we have a gang of sailors going to see Mr Potter's new movie, dining and spirits.
Great Weekend.
Thanks for asking Dennis.;)

Kurt Aebi
06-08-2004, 7:36 AM
Spent all day Saturday driving home from my dad's place in Greene County, The Southwesternmost are of Pennsylvania. [I was only up at Greensburg, PA on Thursday last week for my niece's graduation, soI missed a chance to visit with fellow creeker Daniel Rabinovitz (Oh well, there will be many more times I travel there)] 14 Hours in a car is just about enough! Spens Sunday recuperating from the drive on Saturday and unpacking the truck with the rough Poplar and Ash boards that my dad gave me - (I have about 700 more bd. ft. of rough lumber to haul back from there - it includes Poplar, Ash, Cherry, Maple and Walnut) (Huge Stealth Gloat!)

Last week while visiting dad, we enclosed a set of corner shelves and made it a built-in corner cabinet. Took in a baseball game (Pirates vs. Cubs) at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Ate supper one night in Morgantown, WV, Got to play on dad's John Deere tractor while picking through what the sawyer felt were junk slabs and found some real nice spalted maple slabs in that junk pile. Also found areal pretty Poplar slab with mineral staining (beautiful purples and greens and even a spot of indigo - real pretty). Spent a fortune on gas, but all in all, had a great visit with my dad.

I have pictures of the cabinet and will post them on another post. This weekend will consist of more wishing well production.