PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G1071 Spindle Sander

Gregg Feldstone
11-29-2008, 7:30 AM
Anyone have this machine? How is it?

Dave Bureau
11-29-2008, 7:46 AM
I have one and its great. no complaints. dont know what else to say other than it does what its suppose to do.
Dave

Perry Underwood
11-29-2008, 8:38 AM
Look similar?

http://www.rexon-taiwan.com.tw/p37.htm

Here's another one.

http://www.maoshan.com/product_1_table.asp?id=35&ids=14&page=1

Sometimes it's difficult to know who makes what.

Peter Quinn
11-29-2008, 9:55 AM
I use that one at work, no complaints. Easy to adjust, big table, strong smooth motor. There are bigger and better models from other vendors for a lot more money, but at that price point it is a great value. The one at work has proven durable enough to survive in a commercial setting with 8 guys beating it regularly for years.

john adcox
11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Any idea if Rexon or the Maoshan has dealers here or if it's just a mail order item?

Perry Underwood
11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Rexon and Mao Shan are Taiwanese companies that produce woodworking machines for other companies. Mao Shan is almost exclusively OEM. Until recently, their products were unavailable for purchase in Taiwan. (I live in Taiwan.) I understand that they now sell domestically in Taiwan, although they probably don't market their products here. Rexon is also OEM and they sell in Taiwan. They do market their products in Taiwan. The machines they sell in Taiwan bear their name.

It can be very difficult to buy certain woodworking machines in Taiwan if they are manufactured by companies that only produce for export. Even those machines which are sold here can often cost more (and sometimes much more) than in the states. I believe one reason for this is lack of competition. Believe me, if you are in the states, you are much better off buying these machines there. Not only would you normally get a better price, but you also have more choices.

I don't mean to steer this discussion away from opinions about this sander. If the machine is made by either Mao Shan or Rexon it is well made. My personal opinion is that the country of origin can sometimes be used as an indicator of quality. This is only to a certain degree, however, since companies which have OEM companies produce items for them specify what they want.

Steve Kohn
11-29-2008, 9:45 PM
I bought a used G1071 off Ebay. Works fine, does what it is supposed to do. I have been happy with the machine on very project I have used it on.

Please note that I am a fan of Grizzly. I have 3 other major machines from them.