PDA

View Full Version : My newest turning tool, and saying goodbye to an old friend

Brian Brown
11-29-2008, 1:37 AM
So how is this a turning tool you ask?

How else am I going to move all that free wood! :D The real problem is that my turning tools are having a hard time sharing their space with the new tool. I am looking for some space saving ideas for a grinding/sharpening system with a Wolverine, and my dust collection, neither of which are going away. Right now the garage is a really tight squeeze (think banana skin on a watermelon).

As for the goodbye, my old Nissan pickup is turning 20. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, and it is hard to part with it, :( but the time has come. It has been so reliable and cheap to own, that I replaced it with the same thing in todays model. Here's hoping the new one is as reliable and fun as the old one. It took me lots of great places (a few I should never have been with a truck). I just wish I knew about wood gathering back then. I could have had an even larger collection than I have now! :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2008, 1:44 AM
Congrats Brian! May it serve you well!

I know the feeling. We ordered an '83 Blazer. Turned out to be a lemon. I replaced it while Sharon was on vacation with her parents. I bought a 1 year old '86 4-Runner. That was IIRC the last year they built them from a short bed pickup. It had 19,000 on it when we bought it. It was 17 years old and had 169,000 when we got rid of it. Sharon drives to Portland regularly by herself and I was starting to worry about the reliability of it. I sure hated to part with it. I don't know how many vehicles I towed out of the deep snow with that little 2.2L 4 cylinder engine. I would chain up all 4 wheels and it's a matter of traction not horsepower.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2008, 9:14 AM
Congrats on the new turning tool Brian.:D;) I to had a old Datsun pickup that I put 344,000 on it and I think I spent maybe $700 on it for repairs. I drove it from 1980 to 1994. I bought a new Ford Ranger in 1994 and wish now I would have went with a Nissan.

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Brian - congrats on your new wood hauler! Should be quite the truck! My sister and brother-in-law both have new Nissan trucks and love them! Does it have 4-wheel drive? Have fun with it!

Tamara Brown
11-29-2008, 12:22 PM
His toy?!! He wishes! Yes, Steve, it is a 4x4 and he may get to drive it once in a while, if he brings me back all kinds of burl, spalted etc.....

Mark Ligget
11-29-2008, 1:36 PM
That is a fantastic vehicle, you should get lots of wood in the back of that! :)

Jeff Nicol
11-29-2008, 1:39 PM
Tamara, If you are like my wife you will let him put the gas in it for you while he is out using your truck!! HA! HA! My wife got the new car and I get the old 97 ford truck. But I can't haul much wood in the little car! Nice truck and haul that wood!

Jeff