PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Texas area visit...maybe...

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2004, 12:36 AM
For any of you in the Dallas, TX area....I may be making a weekend trip down that way to visit a couple of music stores to try my hands on a few various bass guitars. I would like to visit any of you who are in that area while I'm there. I may have the LOML and my 4 kids with me....don't let that chase you off any...I have great kids and LOML loves being around woodworking. After all, she gets the benefits from my "hobby".! :D :rolleyes:

I don't know exactly where Todd, Steve and Mike are, but I would like to meet up with you to meet you if you care to meet somewhere. I plan on making the trip on a Friday morning and then leaving the Dallas, Ft. Worth area on Sunday just before lunch. It could be the 4th of July weekend, but maybe another later weekend during July.

This is all preliminary planning right now and I'll know more as times approaches.

So LISTEN UP TEXAS CREEKERS...!!!! An Ol' Arkansas Boy may just be headed toward your territory. :D

Steve Jenkins
06-07-2004, 7:59 AM
I hope you make the trip Dennis. You're welcome to come by and visit. Keep us posted as to your plans. Steve

Phil Phelps
06-07-2004, 2:03 PM
...biggest guitar show in the Southwest was just a few weeks ago. Many really good guitar shops here. The legendary Charlie's Guitar Shop, Brook Mays Professional Store, Musicians Warehouse, Spiers, Zoo Music, and Larry Morgans, to name a few. Lookin' for a Fender Jazz Bass or what??

Dennis Peacock
06-07-2004, 4:54 PM
...biggest guitar show in the Southwest was just a few weeks ago. Many really good guitar shops here. The legendary Charlie's Guitar Shop, Brook Mays Professional Store, Musicians Warehouse, Spiers, Zoo Music, and Larry Morgans, to name a few. Lookin' for a Fender Jazz Bass or what??

Hey Phil...!!!!!

I'm looking for a bass with a 30" scale (short scale). Nomal scale length is 34" and with my short fingers, I can't make a clean 4 fret stretch with any amount of speed nor accuracy....and If I'm to get better, I have to find a bass with a shorter scale length. Warwick offers them now for the Bolt On necks and I currently have a Warwick Thumb Bolt 5-String bass ($1,700) and am looking to sell it and purchase a "mid-range" bass in that same price range. I just don't want to make a trip to Dallas to find ZERO medium (32") or short (30") scale basses to try while there before I make a decision to purchase a new bass.

If you can help me narrow my choices of places to visit to have a "hands-on" experience with these limited selection scale lengths, I would appreciate it. There's just not many places to choose from in Arkansas that has any real selection. Not even the Tobias factory here in Conway doesn't make a bass with any other scale other than 34" length.

Phil Phelps
06-08-2004, 12:55 PM
You're in for some tough goin'. Guy at Brook Mays suggests you try E-Bay. One company had "a" short neck bass. Couldn't identify the manufacturer. You may be in for a needle.........
Phil

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2004, 4:29 PM
You're in for some tough goin'. Guy at Brook Mays suggests you try E-Bay. One company had "a" short neck bass. Couldn't identify the manufacturer. You may be in for a needle.........
Phil

I tried EBay and the one I found was more than what they are new, which is what I'm finding a lot of on Ebay no days. Why pay more on Ebay when I can buy elsewhere for less and New....

Jim Becker
06-08-2004, 4:38 PM
Dennis, have you considered building your own short scale bass? Should be doable for a master woodworker and musician like yourself :D and the components are readily avaiilable "out there" if you are more comfortable with a pre-made neck. This assumes your talking about a solid body which is likely given that most basses are built that way. I can see it now...the "Peacock Precision". hee hee

Dennis Peacock
06-08-2004, 8:21 PM
Dennis, have you considered building your own short scale bass? Should be doable for a master woodworker and musician like yourself :D and the components are readily avaiilable "out there" if you are more comfortable with a pre-made neck. This assumes your talking about a solid body which is likely given that most basses are built that way. I can see it now...the "Peacock Precision". hee hee

Jim,

I have thought about it....and I guess I need to research that a little more and see what it would take.

Chris Padilla
06-08-2004, 8:45 PM
What it would take??!! Geeez, get some wood and start making sawdust!! That's what it would take...ya gotta spell it out for some...sigh....

;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Dennis, I have a friend who owns a music store here and he's a better than average musician. He and his band took 6th in the nation at the Jimmy Dean /Ace Hardware Country Showdown 2 or 3 years ago after winning the Idaho, Washington States and the Western Regionals. They played in Orlando and Tanya Tucker hosted the televised event. He builds guitars, most of which he buys the factory components and assembles them. Then he finishes them. If you'd like, I can ask him if there are any good quality short scaled necks available and what he'd recommend. I met him when I purchased my Fender Power Jazz bass from him. If you decide to build your own including building your own neck.....I'd recommend a laminated neck. My power jazz neck is maple-graphite with rosewood fingerboard.....it's as straight as the day I bought it 10 years ago! Anyway, he'd know immediately if there are such components available. Let me know if you'd like me to ask him about the availability of components..

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2004, 12:45 AM
My power jazz neck is maple-graphite with rosewood fingerboard.....it's as straight as the day I bought it 10 years ago! Anyway, he'd know immediately if there are such components available. Let me know if you'd like me to ask him about the availability of components..

Ken,

I'm open to just about any suggestion right now. Tobias will build me a bass with a 30" scale neck but the cost is about 1/4th the cost of my CAR.!! :eek:

Some folks say..don't go with a bolt on neck....shoot, that's all I've ever had and wouldn't know the difference between a through neck and a bolt on by just playing them. I can get another Warwick Thumb Bolt On bass with a 30" scale neck, but the 30" neck is another $200 in ADDITION to the full cost of the bass with the standard scale neck.

I've looked for "finger stretchers", but can't find any. :D
I know in the old days, folks would have SURGERY to have a wider finger span for piano and guitar.....it's just NOT worth surgery.

I just want a good quality bass that plays very well and has a shorter scale neck so I can get my playing to where I feel it should be.

Todd Burch
06-09-2004, 8:55 AM
Dennis, Katy is "only" 4½ hours or more south of Dallas. Sooooo, it's not like I'm on your way or anything. Maybe I should call around local shops for short neck bass guitars??!!!!

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2004, 8:50 PM
Dennis, Katy is "only" 4½ hours or more south of Dallas. Sooooo, it's not like I'm on your way or anything. Maybe I should call around local shops for short neck bass guitars??!!!!

Well Todd....If you find one for a decent price around your area, I'll then show up in Katy, TX......How's that? ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2004, 7:38 PM
Dennis, I talked with my friend yesterday and again today. He contacted his suppliers and none of them make a short scale bass neck. Sorry! :(

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2004, 8:19 AM
Dennis, I talked with my friend yesterday and again today. He contacted his suppliers and none of them make a short scale bass neck. Sorry! :(

Ken,

Thank yee kindly for checkin'..!!! ;)

Looks like my choices are:
Fender Mustang - Not very fond of the Mex made Fenders
Warwick Thumb Bolt - just like what I have but with a 30" scale neck
Gretch - Feels and plays very poorly
Daisy (for heavens sake....Not this one!!!!! :eek: )
Or....custom made - $3,200 and UP :eek: ....not within my budget.

So-o-o-o-o-o-o....it looks like it's gonna be another Warwick. $1,600 and I think I have a buyer for my current Warwick so now all I have to do is come up with a few hundred bucks, pick up the phone, call, order and wait 4 weeks for delivery.

Jim Becker
06-11-2004, 9:12 AM
Pictures. We want pictures. :)

Dennis Peacock
06-11-2004, 6:35 PM
Pictures. We want pictures. :)

Not to worry my friend....I will take pictures and post them. :)