PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form Problem

Ken Glass
11-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey Gang,
I have a problem.
Here is a Red Flame Box Elder Hollow Form about 6" in diameter and 4" tall, I just finish turned, but I have yet to par the tenon off. Oh yea, its the first time I tried turning a finial. This one is out of a piece of walnut I had, for practice, but I think I will make it from Maple or Poplar and then dye it Red. My problem, if you can see it, is when I mounted the piece of Box Elder on a face plate, I accidentally grabbed the 1-1/4 " screws and when I finish turned it they show up. It is just 4 small screw holes, but who wants that showing. I thought the finial might cover them, but it is just shy. I could make a larger Finial, but I don't think it will look good. So I am asking for ideas on either how to fill the holes or what other option you might think acceptable.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I did that one time to Ken. What I did was to put a collar on that was big enough to cover the screw holes. I put it in a donut chuck and turned the collar to a low profile with kind of a fancy edge on it near the opening. I made the opening hole about a 1". I have put some collars on vases with a seperate finial that had a snug fit so it wouldn't keep falling off. The collar over the screw holes worked pretty good for me. Just a thought.

Jon Lanier
11-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I like what Bernie said.

I was also thinking a collar with Blood wood and walnut... circular segment .... like a thin bullseye.

Steve Schlumpf
11-29-2008, 1:07 AM
Ken - first off - that is a beautiful hollow form! Love the colors in the wood! Very nice work on it!

Sorry about the screw holes but I'm willing to bet that problem doesn't happen again!

As far as suggestions on how to cover the screw holes, I would like to throw out a radical idea for you to think about. The way I see it, besides the standard choices of filling the holes or covering them, you can add more! What about enlarging the existing holes and then adding more in ever decreasing diameters to form a small pattern. I like the wood as it is and would hate to see something like a lid or collar cover it up.

Thought maybe something like this:

Jon Lanier
11-29-2008, 1:20 AM
Steve,

You are brilliant, that is a great idea.

charlie knighton
11-29-2008, 3:29 AM
Steve, good idea

Ken Glass
11-29-2008, 8:02 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. They all have a lot of merit. Steve, thanks for going through the trouble editing the form to show a really cool/radical idea. Bernie, the woman of the house thinks your idea is the most viable. She really likes the idea of the form having a finial. She does think my suggestion of the red finial is too detracting from the HF. She thinks a dark color would be best. I'm going to experiment with some variations of collars/finial/colors and maybe a bigger finial and see what works it's way out. I will post when its finished. What I really like, is the great resource of super people and ideas that come form this forum on a daily basis. One can always count on the Vortex here for help and suggestions, when needed. Thanks!

Jeff Nicol
11-29-2008, 8:06 AM
Ken, You could mount it back and spin a groove and inlay also. The problem is your finish is so nice that would be affected. I really like Steve's idea of the piercing.

Good luck! and love that box elder!

Jeff

Allen Neighbors
11-29-2008, 5:40 PM
Ken, you did well!! To the wind with the holes!
Steve, you are amazing!
Ken, what about a finial just slightly less diameter than the present one, the piercing that Steve suggested, and a few tiny holes in the finial base to match?

Maylon Harvey
11-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Ken,
I like Steve and Allens ideas but then again I don't have to live with your wife.

Jim Kountz
11-29-2008, 10:14 PM
Man Steve thats using the ol noodle! Great idea ol boy!

Richard Madison
11-29-2008, 10:59 PM
So there is the answer. Some piercing per Steve's suggestion to save the piece, and a small finial to satisfy your sweetie.