PDA

View Full Version : G0513x2 Adjustment question

Anthony Whitesell
11-28-2008, 9:24 PM
On the lower guide, can the back bearing distance be adjusted separately from the side bearings? The top can but I can't figure out how to adjust the lower. (maybe because I can't)

P.S. This is one sweet saw. I sliced a piece of pine so thin I could almost see completely through it. The purpose of the cut was to make the board thinner not to make a veener or see how thin it will go.

Barry Vabeach
11-28-2008, 9:46 PM
Anthony, yes, you can adjust the lower thrust bearing separately. My suggestion is to take out each of the 4 adjustment screws from under the table and paint the heads a flourescent orange and then put them back in place. From the factory, the black heads just disappear. To adjust the lower thrust bearing, there is a hex screw deep inside the trunnion, once that is loosened, there is a wheel with a plastic knob way behind the thrust bearing, turning the knob moves the thrust bearing back or forward, then you lock it down with the hex screw.

Anthony Whitesell
11-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Opps. I don't think I asked the question right. My bad.

On the lower trunnion, can the front/back position of the rear bearing be adjusted separately from the side bearings?

I can change the the clearance of each side bearing and move the whole assembly forward/backward by means of the plastic knob. But I would like to leave the side bearings and move just the rear bearing. That make three screws (one for each side, one between the trunnion rails for the whole assembly), where's number 4?

Chris Ricker
11-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Anthony;
I just checked my x2 and confirmed what Barry had said, are you sure you are asking the question in the right way? Or maybe Griz has made a few changes I'm not aware of.
I have had my saw since July '08 and you're right it is "one sweet saw"!!

Barry Vabeach
11-29-2008, 2:43 PM
Anthony, I guess I don't understand your question - there should be 4 hex screws under the table that lock the various bearings in position. 2 are for the guide bearings for the side of the blade, 1 to allow the block to move forward and back, and 1 for the thrust bearing - what may be confusing is that there is a knob adjustment which moves the thrust bearing, but there is no similar adjuster that moves the block which holds the two side bearnings, you just loosen the hex screw, move the block then tighten. I would take pictures, but I took out the stock hex screws and made my own with thumbscrews so my pictures wouldn't help.

Anthony Whitesell
11-29-2008, 8:25 PM
Thanks guys. With your info, I misread the instructions. I thought the one screw (the upper that locks the adjustment by the thumb screw) adjusted both sets of bearings. I didn't catch that the instructions were pointing to 2 different screws. Damn is that top screw difficult to get to.

glenn bradley
11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry I never got you the pictures Anthony and am glad it worked out. I actually bought a set of long and short Allen wrenches at HF for about $5 just for one of each wrench to keep handy by my saw. At HF you do have to take your calipers along and find a set that has a good version of the wrench you want. I just tossed the rest. I keep my blade changing gloves, table pin wrench, Allen wrenches, flashlight, fence and a brush all on a section of the cleats that run down my walls. Blades hang behind the spine on one of the cleat mounted pegboard panels that are here and there.

Pat Germain
11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Say, Glenn. Did your saw come with that bit "STOP" plate over the switch? Or, did you add that?

glenn bradley
12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Pat and I will now commit a blatant thread-jack and feel no guilt about it http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif . . .

That is the cover from a Rockler switch that was on sale for $14 a while back and for $17 at least twice since. The covers swapped perfectly so I have the BIG button on the BS and a regular button set on the other, less critical switch. I think Griz also sells similar big button covers separately(???).

Anthony Whitesell
12-01-2008, 8:27 AM
I just picked up one of those switches from Rockler. I'll have to try it. I really don't like the dinky small stop button plus it is a very stiff push, I could use some leverage on it.