PDA

View Full Version : A Turner's Thanksgiving Feast!

Scott Conners
11-28-2008, 8:33 PM
I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment, and turn in my kitchen/dining nook. For Thanksgiving, my girlfriend and I had our newly-wedded best friends over for dinner. Here's a picture of our serving spread. If you look carefully you can see the tail of my lathe bed on the bottom leftof the photo. The lathe (Jet 1014 w/ extension) normally sits right in front of the table, we swung it to the side for serving.
The menu included: Turkey, stuffing, candied yams, mashed potatoes, pearl onions in cheese sauce (goes good on everything!), fresh cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, dinner knots (rolls), pumpkin, pecan and apple pies.

All served over olive bowl blanks and turning tools! I hope everyone (in the US) had a wonderful holiday!

Dave Halter
11-28-2008, 8:37 PM
That's proof that if there's a will, there's a way. Is that "wood chip" dressing next to the turkey?

Dave

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:38 PM
What no shavings on the menu? Folks like you should really give inspiration to others who think they don't have enough room for a shop! :)

Mark Hix
11-28-2008, 8:42 PM
Talk about convenient....if you run out of bowls, you just turn one!

Richard Madison
11-28-2008, 8:48 PM
Absolutely outstanding Scott! Thanks for posting. Really takes me back. Car engine in the livingroom, wood shop in the spare bedroom, etc.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2008, 9:51 PM
Great post Scott. There is a will and there is a way.

Don Carter
11-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Scott:
Great post! I don't think we could eat in my shop! Happy Thanksgiving to you.
All the best.

Don

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for posting Scott! I think Dewey said it best - you should be an inspiration to others with limited area for a shop!

Scott Conners
11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Some proof I actually use my lathe for more than the occasional bottlestopper:
This is a Chuppah I made for my best friend's wedding. It's a Jewish tradition that symbolizes the fragile new home. I turned the posts from Parallam 4x4s, in 3 sections each.
They were turned almost exclusively with my Thompson 1/2" detail gouge, with a few spots touched with the skew, and of course my trusty parting/sizing tool. They are ~7 feet tall (I didn't get a final measurement yet). I did most of the work in 4 long days. The woodchips made it to every part of the house, literally. Luckily, the LOML is incredibly tolerant as long as I keep making her pretty things. :D
If anyone is interested I'll post a full thread about the chuppah - I have more photos of the process and finished product in use, and there is much more to the story as well.

Tom Wilson66
11-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Scott, you've got me tantalized. Come across with the rest of the story, or the bird of paradise will fly up your nose.:D