PDA

View Full Version : Ornament stands

Dave Halter
11-28-2008, 8:31 PM
After being away from the lathe for most of the summer due to work and other commitments I finally was able to spin some wood. I saw a video online a few months ago on making ornament stands, but couldn't find it when I wanted to make some. So I had to stretch my memory on how to do these. The stands are maple, the birdhouse is quilted maple and some "dunno" wood for the roof. This is also my first attempt at eccentric turning. I had a problem with trying to get rid of the tool marks out toward the edge and it took a 150 grit gouge to get rid of them. I turned some more bases today and had better luck. I think "Stand 2" is a better design. I've also added a photo tent to my project list.

Dave

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:35 PM
Very classy setup. Birdhouses seem to be popular as ornaments this year. Thanks for posting.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2008, 9:52 PM
Dave those look outstanding. If you find that video please let us know.

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Dave - your stands are a great idea! Really like the birdhouse - especially the NE roof! Nice work!

Allen Neighbors
11-29-2008, 6:30 PM
Good job, Dave. If your ornaments are for sale, you might need to make some extra stands. Someone will want them just to display the ornaments between Christmases.
Nice work!

Jim Kountz
11-29-2008, 8:07 PM
Great work and love the stand idea, very nice!!