PDA

View Full Version : lacquer

Bill Desoto
11-28-2008, 8:06 PM
Hello, all. Is deft clear wood finish any different than any other lacquer other than it can be brushed on? I want to put this on a solid body guitar. Thanks for all answers. Bill.

Steve Schoene
11-28-2008, 8:15 PM
It is a basic nitrocellulose lacquer, with slower evaporating solvents so it can be brushed--though you still need to hustle. I can't comment on its fine points of performance compared to NC lacquers from Behlen, SW or Campbell. I'd suspect them to be very similar, though you will have a lot more leveling and rubbing out to do, since you will not be able to brush on as defect free finish as could be done with talented spraying.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2008, 8:56 PM
For something small like a guitar, you might consider just using the Deft in spay cans.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 8:59 PM
And....don't use it inside a closed space. Nasty, dangerious fumes... ;)

jerry nazard
11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Bill,

I have sprayed the Deft lacquer both straight out of the can and thinned. Good results but of course it drys much slower than products that are intended for spraying. Matt has the better idea: use the rattle can.

-Jerry

Bill Desoto
11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Many thanks for the replys. I will spray, most likely with the rattle can, as suggested. Thanks again, Bill

Phil Phelps
12-01-2008, 5:04 PM
Many thanks for the replys. I will spray, most likely with the rattle can, as suggested. Thanks again, Bill
Just curious. Do you want it shining like chrome? You'll need to spray it, many times. The only way to achieve a factory finish is to wet dry sand between coats using 2000 up to 6000. It's slow but well worth it. A lacquer finish is not as tough as poly. I've heard all the arguments on the Fender nitro. I don't buy it, however.
Phil