PDA

View Full Version : laser-polymer vs photo-polymer is it the same?

Nadia Zois
11-28-2008, 7:56 PM
i was wondering if photop polymer and laser polymer are the same? can the photo polymer be cut with a laser?

i want to make stamps and i am thinking that the polymer is the way to go since it doesn't smell as bad as rubber. but it does cost way way more.

i am having a hard time finding a place that sells laser polymer, but i have found a few that sell photo polymer. is it the same thing? can i laser cut photo polymer?

where can i get cheaper priced polymer sheets? i need them urgently, so i am getting stressed out. heh.

Scott Shepherd
11-28-2008, 8:12 PM
I'm not familiar with laser polymer, but I am somewhat familiar with photopolymer. Photopolymer is a process that uses special plastics (maybe other materials, I don't know) and exposes them to UV light to harden them. The material is 2 lasers, one is the core material that is not much more than just your normal plastic, and the second layer is designed to be exposed to light to harden. You have to make a film negative of the imagine you want, you put the negative on the material, and then you expose it. The areas exposed (or not exposed) to light cure. It then goes into a wash tank and scrubbers scrub off the material that did not harden, which exposed the raised section of the material.

I have not seen stamps done with it, but I do believe it's commonly used for that. You can laser cut the finished product. It's safe to laser. I think Bill Cunningham (a member here) uses or used that process for rubber stamps. PM him and see if he can help explain it better.

Bob Tate
11-29-2008, 9:31 AM
The Photopolymer that Scott is referring to is old school. The term Digital Plates is what is used for the more popular process today. I use the system on a daily basis. The plate material I use is called Digital Fast (DFM). It is Photopolymer capped with a carbon layer on top and backed by a Polyester layer for rigidity, to maintain it's shape and prevent stretching. We use a specialized Laser Engraver that utilizes four lasers. Accuracy is incredible. The laser engraver engraves (actually ablates) thru the carbon layer. Then the sheet is exposed to UV light, then developed with heat. The developer is another story.
I have a little waste on every sheet just because of how different jobs fit. I would be glad to send you a sample or two. It is probably not going to work out for you though, based on price. With a Annual Contract my price is set based on usage levels. I am buying about $15,000 worth a month and it is still over 20 cents a square inch. And they only sell by the case. A case is worth just shy of $2000.00. But if you want to try it out, let me know.
Bob

Darryl Hazen
11-29-2008, 9:55 AM
Nadia,

You need to contact Millenium Marking Co. 2600 Greenleaf Avenue, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 Phone 847-806-1750. Ask them for a sample of ML-80413. It is Laserable polymer. You can also ask for a sample of ML-80414 which is No Odor Laser Rubber. We have used both. Neither has any appreciable odor.

Doug McIntyre
11-29-2008, 10:05 AM
I used photo polymer some years ago to make hot foil stamps (using the correct developing method). When I aquired my laser I tried to engrave it with limited success. It melted back into the design at the wrong settings and worked best using 2 passes.

In my opinion it was too much trouble so if there is now a laserable version of it on the market I would forget the photo developed version.

Bill Cunningham
11-29-2008, 10:23 PM
I sent you a PM Nadia..If your in the U.S.A., Millenium Marking is your best bet.. They sell sheets of polymer for lasering stamps.. Polymer lasers much faster than rubber, and although there is some smell, it's not the pungent skunk odour of rubber.. Polymer is good for water based inks, but if your making a stamp for oil or solvent based ink, you 'must' use real rubber.. Solvent and oil based will destroy the polymer die.. The polymer must be stuck down tight to something you can cut into, or it will curl during engraving.. Once engraved, just rub it under running cold water to remove the oily polymer residue.. Laser polymer is a sheet of soft 'stamp' polymer, NOT photo polymer stock used for making hard printing plates.. That stuff will not laser, just melts..