PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Improvements

Matt Meiser
11-28-2008, 7:41 PM
I've had my router mounted in my table saw's extension table for a while now, first on my contractor saw, then on my Unisaw. I've never done anything about dust collection and after doing some raised panels the weekend before last I decided that had to change. I also decided I'd really like a nicer router plate. I was considering the Woodpeckers plate and was thinking about buying it at the show, but after an email exchange with the show promoter, I decided to spend my money with a local store rather than paying him $15 for parking and admission. That's when I found that Woodcraft carries the same plate under the Pinnacle name.

The box is very simple, made from 3/8" and 1/4" plywood cutoffs and some miscellaneous hardware I had around. I still need to get a wye fitting so I can get dust from the box and fence at the same time.

jerry nazard
11-28-2008, 7:50 PM
Matt,

You will enjoy 99.99% dust free routing! Re: Unisaw. What's the story on the old 'arn?

-Jerry

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:01 PM
Matt,
Fist off, nice job!

Seeing we have the same router and the same saw albeit different year makes, I have a question for you:

I have been thinking about the same thing as you and for the same reasons. Tied of cleaning up dust:rolleyes:. Anyway, how did you circumvent the issue with motor access. I would like do do something similar but it will block my access door. As it is now I have to remove the router to open it. Do you have any suggestions?

Note the space I have to deal with in the 2nd pic.

Duane McGuire
11-28-2008, 8:26 PM
That looks really nice! I hope you'll show us what you come up with for collection at the fence. How effective is collection with just the box? I'm building a new shop and looking forward to a DC system!

http://blog.duanemcguire.com/category/woodshop/

Matt Meiser
11-28-2008, 8:49 PM
Jerry, The Unisaw is a ~1945 model I got from a friend. He did the resto. It was a basket case when he got it but he did a really nice job. Someday(tm) I'd like to get a new top as he had to have this one ground and the miter slots are slightly thinner than normal so I had to mill the miter bar on my Incra gauge and I can't use commercial miter bar accessories. But its a great saw. I added a magnetic starter since the original switch was missing and had been replaced with a heavy duty light switch and I like the mag switch better anyway. I also added the fiberglass reproduction motor cover and after much deliberation I (gasp) cut the cabinet for dust collection, a cardinal sin in the old woodworking machine world.

Dewey, I assume you mean motor access for the saw? I haven't thought about that, but the motor cover on my Unisaw unbolts to gain access and I think I could get it off without removing the router shroud. If I do have to remove the shroud, its just 4 screws. I thought about slotting the holes above the screws so I would just have to loosen them rather than remove them. If I ever have to take it down, I'll probably do that.

Duane, my experience before, when I had a stand-alone router table, was that dust collection depends on what you are doing. Sometimes the lower collection is needed almost exclusively. Other times the fence is all that's needed.

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:59 PM
Thanks Matt,
Yes I did mean motor cover. Not a bad idea. Also if I may... is your shopvac baffled in melamine? I am guessing for noise reduction pic#1?

Matt Meiser
11-28-2008, 9:08 PM
No, the Melamine box is the backside of a shelf I keep my blades and other saw accessories in. The shop vac visible in the picture is dedicated to my Biesemeyer overarm blade guard--I found that I needed a vacuum instead of a dust collector connection due to the small diameter hose that came with it.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 9:11 PM
Nice job on that, Matt. And yes, it will make a difference in your shop, for sure!

Joe Mioux
11-28-2008, 9:24 PM
good job matt

joe

Phil Thien
11-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Nice job Matt. I've been using a downdraft as my only DC on my router table for three years now (nothing on the fence). I use a shop vac, and get most everything. I hope you find similar results.

So... What is the top surface of your router table? Some sort of laminate? It looks interesting...

Matt Meiser
11-29-2008, 8:36 AM
Just clearance laminate from Home Depot. it has some kind of marble veining in it. Of the colors they had broken sheets of, it was the one that would look best with my saw.

Phil Thien
11-29-2008, 9:50 AM
Just clearance laminate from Home Depot. it has some kind of marble veining in it. Of the colors they had broken sheets of, it was the one that would look best with my saw.

I was thinking it was some sort of low-friction graphite impregnated surface. Man my imagination runs wild.