PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Monitors

Jason Christenson
11-28-2008, 6:41 PM
I have at least 5 old computer monitors at work that I would desperately love to get rid of. I've been told that I'm not allowed to just throw them away but nobody seems to be able to tell me what I CAN do with them. Some of them work and some don't.

Any suggestions?

Jason

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 6:44 PM
Here, they have to go to the local hazardous waste collection...which is like once a year.

Jason Christenson
11-28-2008, 6:46 PM
How 'bout if I send them to you? :D Seriously, and I'm sure the answer to this will irritate me to no end, why are they considered hazardous?

Mitchell Andrus
11-28-2008, 7:37 PM
60 minutes had a segment just a week or two ago. There are some nasty chems in them older monitors. Most seem to go to china where they are smashed and their metals salvaged at the most polluted town on the planet.

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:10 PM
As of July 2001 tv's and computer monitors have been banned from landfilling. This is due to the high level of lead in the glass portion of the tv and monitor, the Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). The new regulations require that the CRT be recycled.

Jason Christenson
11-28-2008, 8:17 PM
That doesn't make sense, I see old TV's on the curb for trash pickup all the time.

Jason

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:24 PM
That doesn't make sense, I see old TV's on the curb for trash pickup all the time.

Jason

Yes you are right Jason. I think maybe Nebraska might have different regulations. I thought it was a federal ban but maybe it was state. At any rate, the potential lead content is the primary concern.

Have you called your waste management folks yet. They may just tell you to separate it.

Mitchell Andrus
11-28-2008, 8:26 PM
They are no doubt pulled from the stream at the transfer station.

Matt Meiser
11-28-2008, 8:39 PM
Here we can recycle them by taking them to a few different places. One is our local Habitat ReStore which is the collection point for our county's program and the other is Goodwill which has some program with Dell. I'd assume the Dell/Goodwill program is nationwide.

Matt Ocel
11-29-2008, 9:27 AM
Here in MN if you sell motor oil, you have to accept the used oil as well.

They should do that for monitors, So I don't have to keep picking them out of the ditch by my house. But then they would have to do that for furniture sales, appliance sales, tires sales.:D:D:D

Matt Meiser
11-29-2008, 9:36 AM
Matt, the EU is doing just that. Its called producer responsibility. The gist is that if you produce something, you have to provide for disposal at end-of-life.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-29-2008, 9:46 AM
Our town's recycling center takes them, but you gotta put a "sticker" on the ($5 each sticker). They contract with a local recyclinig company to take them so they don't end up in landfills.

FWIW, we see them on the curb all the time for trash pickup too. But the trash guys don't take 'em, so sometimes they sit out there for weeks until the homeowners get the idea....

Rudy Ress
11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Here in Calif. our local county sponsors twice a year an "electronics Clean up day". You can drop off any electronic item for free and they will recycle it. It is actually a private company that comes in and then they strip and reclaim components. But it is is free to us. Thus check with you local government. Also might want to check the yellow pages for "electronic recyclers". They however may charge you.

Karl Brogger
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I say drive by Matt Ocel's house, and throw it in the ditch.:D

Matt Ocel
11-29-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks Buddy.;)

David G Baker
11-29-2008, 6:21 PM
My son works for an electronic component recycler in California. His company strips the components down and ships many of the parts to China and other ares in the East. One of the highest demand parts are the monitor picture tubes.

Sonny Edmonds
11-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Where I am, I take my electronics waste to my local Goodwill (http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about) collection center.

Jason Christenson
11-30-2008, 3:17 PM
Where I am, I take my electronics waste to my local Goodwill (http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about) collection center.

Now that is a great idea. Even better than the ditch idea.

Jason

Karl Brogger
11-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks Buddy.;)

Come on. that was a little funny!

Steven DeMars
11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
If you lived where I do it would be simple . . . Go by a store and get some TV or monitor boxes. Put the monitors in them, seal them well, put them in the back of your truck, go to Home Depot, park out of sight, go in look around the tool department for a hour and when you come out they will be gone. Then you can write them off on your taxes as a loss. . . .

See, be creative . . . .:D
Steve

Pat Germain
11-30-2008, 11:06 PM

Oh, dude, that was more than just a little funny! I read that and laughed until I was crying. I don't know why, but it hit my funny bone just right. :p

The ditch situation reminds me of the Goodwill collection booth that used to sit in the Alpha Beta parking lot near my house when I was a kid. It was basically wooden a shed with a spring loaded door. The intended purpose was for people to open the door, drop in their functional or repairable items and then be off.

This drop off shed worked for awhile. Then people started dropping off old, nasty couches, beds and chairs next to the shed. The Goodwill folks kept hauling them off. Eventually, it got out of control with numerous couches and beds laying all around the shed every week. Goodwill finally came to disassembled the shed and haul it off.

Yep. People still dropped all their crap in the parking lot where the shed once stood. I don't know who had to haul that stuff off, but it kept showing up. I wouldn't be surprised if this is still going on thirty years later. :rolleyes:

Matt Ocel
12-01-2008, 8:32 AM
Come on. that was a little funny!

Yeah it was.:D:D:D