PDA

View Full Version : New Steel City Bandsaw coming out?!

Adam Cavaliere
11-28-2008, 4:57 PM
So at my local store today I was able to pick up a 14" Steel City Bandsaw (steel top) for $499.99. I thought I was getting a great price as I had originally spoken with the sales person earlier in the week and at that time it was $619.99 after Instant Rebate.

I guess they are coming out with a new model and the one I just purchased is being discontinued. My question to you guys, do you know of the new one and what it's features may be?

I am just worried I may have buyers remorse in a little bit when I see the new model come out. I haven't unpacked the saw yet as I won't have time until Monday, so I still have time I guess to make up my mind!

Dave Stuve
11-28-2008, 6:04 PM
I heard that this Fall Steel City showed a 14" with the lower wheel made of granite, which gave it lots more mass/blade momentum. Nifty, but I wouldn't have buyer's remorse about that....

Adam Cavaliere
11-30-2008, 9:08 AM
Well that is good to hear. I guess no matter what I got a good deal. I was just worried because I want this purchase to last awhile. It isn't like electronics to me where I know I can plan on replacing something in a few years after it is obsolete.

Bob Slater
11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Well that is good to hear. I guess no matter what I got a good deal. I was just worried because I want this purchase to last awhile. It isn't like electronics to me where I know I can plan on replacing something in a few years after it is obsolete.

I don't think bandsaws go obsolete that fast

Chuck Tringo
11-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't think bandsaws go obsolete that fast

Yeah, I read all the time about people refurbing 50-75+ year old iron beasts and loving them...I dont think the obsolete thing is a problem.

John Thompson
11-30-2008, 3:35 PM
As had been said... bandsaws are relatively simply beast in the design so becoming obsolete is not much of a problem. Steel City indeed did introduce a new 14" at the International WW Show in Atlanta in August the does have a granite lower wheel. I demonstrated machines for them there and the new BS lower wheel is quite massive.

But... with that said the one you are looking at is an excellent deal for the price and SC warrants it for 5 Years. They have no intention of not having the parts available on that saw as there are many of them out there already.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Rick Fisher
11-30-2008, 6:25 PM
$499 for that saw is a good deal. Be happy, cut wood.

Mike Heidrick
11-30-2008, 6:37 PM
That was agreat price. Sure the new one was a 14"?