PDA

View Full Version : Best tool for antler ?

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2008, 4:11 PM
I have a bunch of antlers that a friend gave me, thougt it was time to try a pen or two. My question is, what is the proper tool for turning antler? Also, do i sand while turning and what grits of paper for sanding. Last question, what is best finish? Thanks, Skip

Ron Ainge
11-28-2008, 4:18 PM
Skip

I have turned several pens and bottle stoppers out of antler and I turn it just as I would wood. I sand it with the highest grit of paper that I think I can start with and then go to 400 to 600 depending on the finish I want. I use CA as a fininsh most of the time and then polish it with plastic polish and then the final step is some type of friction polish.

Skip Spaulding
11-28-2008, 4:26 PM
Thank you Ron, I may get some blanks cut out tonight and give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again, Skip

Curt Fuller
11-28-2008, 5:44 PM
Don't forget nose plugs!

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2008, 6:02 PM
Yep nose plugs apply.

Don Carter
11-28-2008, 6:56 PM
Skip:
Your have gotten great advice. I would try to drill the hole near the side of the antler to preserve some of the surface "flavor" for the pen. It is not easy to do without a blowout, but it gives the final pen some character. If the hole is in the center is just a white antler pen, that is pretty but without the character.
All the best.

Don

Mark Hix
11-28-2008, 8:34 PM
I usually use a skew but whatever you are most comfortable with that you can obtain the best cut with is fine. Sharper is always better.

Depending on the kind of antler, some have more marrow than others. Use the smallest diameter you can to minimize the amount of marrow you have to deal with. Don't be afraid to leave a little bark on the pens. I recently turned some with the bark and they went very fast for more money than normal. One of my customers wants them without finish.

Another trick that makes it easier to drill is to turn them round first between centers.

Don't forget the photos.

Oh yeah, don't forget the nose plugs.