PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat...help!

Don Carter
11-28-2008, 2:29 PM
When I got up this morning, a little late, I found these rounds at the end of my drive way. My forester friend called later today to say he had dropped off some wood for my addiction. He said these three rounds are spalted gum. He also left a hackberry log and some ash (not pictured) that are smaller and more manageable for me.

I need help in how to cut these rounds up. They are about 25" diameter by about 10" to 12" thick. What is the best way to cut these so that I can coat them for later turning? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All the best.

Don

robert hainstock
11-28-2008, 2:35 PM
I can't help you with the cutting how to unles you have at least a twenty in lathe, in which case cut them through the middle. You should coat each end with anchor seal ASAP. Congrats on the score. :D
Bob

Jeff Nicol
11-28-2008, 3:43 PM
Don, You could cut some of it into pie shaped pieces to make natural edge pieces. Not sure what you have for a band saw so that will determine what you can do. If you like cutting end grain and have a big lathe seat the ends and wait till you can turn them. Or cut smaller rounds out with the band saw and seal them. You could also make some square stock for smaller items: pens, ornaments, stoppers etc. But it all depends on you and what you want. Once they are sealed good they should last a while.

Good luck and keep it spinning!

Jeff