PDA

View Full Version : This one really hurts

Bruce Page
11-28-2008, 1:57 PM
My wife had to put down our beloved chocolate lab Zoë last week while I was working up in Alaska. She had been suffering from bone cancer and the Vet said it was time. I wish Zoë could have made it until I got home Wednesday but at the same time I’m not sure how well I would’ve handled it.

She was a sweetie.

Mitchell Andrus
11-28-2008, 2:07 PM
So sorry.

Been there recently. There isn't anything but time that will make this fade away.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 2:47 PM
That's very sad news, Bruce. Zoe lives on, however, every time you think of her.

Steve Vaughn
11-28-2008, 2:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Duke is too.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2008, 2:53 PM
That's tough Bruce! My sympathies! We put our Samoyed down 12 years ago. I think of her daily!

Jon Lanier
11-28-2008, 3:41 PM
Bummer, but I'm sure later on when you are ready there will be enough love for another companion.

Ted Shrader
11-28-2008, 3:43 PM
Bruce -

So sorry to hear of your loss. Zoe will be missed.

Regards,
Ted

Don Carter
11-28-2008, 3:47 PM
Bruce:
Sorry to hear of your loss. Our pet friends really do enrich our lives. God's speed Zoe.

All the best.

Don

Ben Franz
11-28-2008, 6:09 PM
Bruce-

My sympathies on your loss. When and if you're ready for another pooch, Animal Humane (Virginia SE) always has a lot of great dogs. We adopted our second beast there last December and there were about 20 more I wanted to take home. It breaks my heart to see so many fine dogs in shelters.

Glenn Clabo
11-28-2008, 6:13 PM
Man...that's a tough one bud. Every one is special...old labs are such a friend.
We lost our 14 year old a few months ago...we still miss her. I can hear you.

Bruce Page
11-28-2008, 7:13 PM
Ben, I found Zoe at Animal Humane 13 years ago. If & when we get another, Animal Humane will be the first place we look.

Thanks everyone. Your thoughts mean a lot to me.

Joe Mioux
11-28-2008, 7:52 PM
HI Bruce,

sorry to hear about Zoe.

joe

Pat Meeuwissen
11-28-2008, 8:03 PM
Bruce, my wife and I had to put our beloved German Sheppard down this past summer and we miss her daily as our new dog is not as bright as the last one. Sorry for your loss but remember the good times you had with Zoe. Pat

Jon Klear
11-28-2008, 8:07 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Doug Shepard
11-28-2008, 8:38 PM
China and I are sorry to hear about Zoe and wish your family the best.

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 8:41 PM
Cody and I are sorry to hear the news as well. He is 14 now and I am dreading the day I have to do the same:(.

Phil Thien
11-28-2008, 8:51 PM
I have a 9YO black lab. He is absolutely my best friend. Pure, unconditional love.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-28-2008, 8:54 PM
We had to have one of our dogs put down about 10 weeks ago. I feel your pain. About 2 weeks later LOML gave me a piece of paper. It pictured and described a rescue dog. I expected a setter, lab or retriever. It was a rat terrier. Instant love. He is a great friend to us already. May you be as lucky as we were.

Tim Byars
11-28-2008, 11:19 PM
It's one of life's great mysteries (injustices?) that such great friends are with us such a short time. We lost the greatest dog ever to bone cancer 2 years ago. And, kudos to you and your wife for doing the right thing...I'm always struck by our vet's oft-expressed regret that so many people wait too long and let them go on in pain because they don't want to let go.

Dave Anderson NH
11-29-2008, 8:10 AM
Sue and I have been there too with our beloved Springer Otis. It was very hard on both of us Bruce so we understand your feelings. You can take solace in that fact that he is no longer suffering. You will think of Zoe daily so she really hasn't left you.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-29-2008, 9:00 AM
Bruce - I'm very sorry .... she does look like a sweetie.

Nancy Laird
11-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Bruce, I'm sorry to hear about Zoe, and sorry that Betty had to go through that alone. Our thoughts are with you--we've been there! Hugs to both of you.

Nancy and David

Angus Hines
11-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Frank, Desdemona and I are all sorry to hear of your recent loss.

Jim O'Dell
11-29-2008, 1:02 PM
Ben, I found Zoe at Animal Humane 13 years ago. If & when we get another, Animal Humane will be the first place we look.

Thanks everyone. Your thoughts mean a lot to me.

That's good to hear. Also keep in mind, if you don't find the right match there, consider one of the rescue groups. Many of the pure breed and all breed rescue groups will pull from the shelters to give them more room. Plus most of us think we do a better job screening and placing dogs than they have the time to do. All for the reason of making this next home this dog's final and forever home.
You have probably read before where I said to take a sheet of paper, or a file in the computer, and start listing little one line remembrances of Zoe. Just little things that made you smile, or that made up her personality. Add to it as you think of them. It helps the healing process.
And I too know the tears. We lost the two we kept from out first litter this summer. And we lost them about 7 weeks apart at 13 years old. I bet Zoe has already met them at the Rainbow Bridge, and keep each other company until we embrace them once again. Jim.