PDA

View Full Version : TV stand - joining legs to top

Ryan Hovis
11-28-2008, 9:37 AM
I am working on a real basic black walnut TV stand, just 2 legs with 2 shelves in between them and a top, 23" tall x 50" wide. since I'm still sorta new at this, and don't really want to screw this project up like most other projects I make, how should I join the legs to the top? there is enough surface area I could fit 4 biscuits in each one, but I am concerned with gluing the long grain of the top to the end grain of the legs. should I do it the hard way and mortise the underside of the top and cut an integrated tenon on each of the legs?

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2008, 9:47 AM
Hi Ryan, I assume that your stand will not have aprons joining the legs together?

If your top is solid wood, you won't be able to join the legs directly to the top, since the width of the top will change with humidity changes.

One way to attach the top to aprons is to have the top float, it's only attached to the aprons by wooden buttons, metal clips or screws in slotted holes to allow the top to change size without apart the legs and other structural pieces.

Sliding dovetails are another joint used to accomodate wood movement.

Please provide more information on your project such as what the top is made of, how the shelf attaches to the legs etc. so that we may provide more accurate answers to your questions.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Scharle
11-28-2008, 9:51 AM
Trying to picture your plan.
I'm assuming the 2 legs will be on the front and the rear of the top/shelves will be attached to the wall?

Ryan Hovis
11-29-2008, 10:58 PM
got it figured out, basically I wanted to see if I could get away with biscuits, top is 7/8" thick so I was able to cut 1/2" deep mortises into the bottom and make tenons out of the top of the legs. didn't come out too bad for a n00b. dad reminded me not to ruin it like the last thing I tried to make. I'll post up some pics tomorrow once I get a few more coats of tung oil.

it's just a top, 2 legs with 2 shelves in between the legs, made of black walnut and a bunch of biscuits ;) simplicity was the theme.

Tom Henderson2
11-30-2008, 4:34 AM
it's just a top, 2 legs with 2 shelves in between the legs, made of black walnut and a bunch of biscuits ;) simplicity was the theme.

Hi Ryan-

What is throwing some of us is how two legs support the rest of the structure -- most of us are used to thinking in terms of four legs, or occasnionally three.

A picture will be worth the usual thousand words...

-TH

Ryan Hovis
11-30-2008, 3:25 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/008-3.jpg

Rod Sheridan
12-01-2008, 8:29 AM
Looks good Ryan.

Now I understand the question, what you were calling legs, I call gables.

Thanks, Rod.