PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 35905 Cabinet Saw

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-28-2008, 8:45 AM
Does anyone have one of these? I'm looking to upgrade to a cabinet saw with a riving knife system, and this one seems ultra-affordable. I'd love to hear some un-biased opinions. Thanks!

Greg Cole
11-28-2008, 9:02 AM
Can't speak for that specific model, but I have it's cousin in the TiN coated top 3hp cabinet saw sans riving knife.
Good solid machine across the board. There's many choices in this class of saw and you'll get too many opinions based on the color of paint. So long as the table is flat, alignment is easy, the arbor woesn't wobble etc etc etc, I consider it a decent saw regardless of paint job.
I probably wouldn't have chosed Steel City in all honesty (nothing against SC mind you!) but with the deal I found on mine I'd have been a fool to not snag it. I was hunting for old 'arn for some time and settled on the 35601 I found brand new for $600.;)

Scott Myers
11-28-2008, 9:34 AM
As unbiased as possible. First, good folks at SC. Responsive customer support. Do keep in mind the price. You get what you pay for. It is designed to be able to be offered at that price. Don't expect it to equal a PM, Jet or SS. It you keep that in mind and don't expect the level of equipment of those other manufacturer's, then you will be happy with the saw.

The trunnion is a lighter trunnion and there are some design trade-offs to get the price lower. But for what you pay, it is a very fair deal. This is more of a hybrid design. I don't care for the handwheel attachment method (cheap roll pin, the handwheel wobbles on the shaft, high wear point) nor does the bevel angle brake work very well. Takes some shimming to get it to lock, and even then it is so-so.

But it will work once you get it tweaked in. For a home shop, it will be a decent choice at that price point.

I don't care much for the granite top. I thought I would like it, but after trying it, my opinion reversed. I've had some experience with this particular machine and the slot is very rough and it will scratch the snot out of your mitre tools. It also chips very easily; it is granite. If you get a SC, get the cast iron top. I know the granite is pretty and one could make sushi on it, but in practice, it leaves a bit to be desired IMO.

I don't know what you expectations are, so make sure you REALLY crawl all over the machine and compare it to a Jet, Powermatic or General, which the dealer should have on the floor also.

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2008, 9:55 AM
I don't know what you expectations are, so make sure you REALLY crawl all over the machine and compare it to a Jet, Powermatic or General, which the dealer should have on the floor also.

Hi Scott, very interesting post, thanks for the information on the granite top.

I just wanted to mention that you're comparing a Steel City Hybrid saw to a General, which isn't really fair to Steel City.

The lowest priced General is the 10" 650 or 350 model, and they're in the $3,000 to $4,000 range, compared to much less than half that for the Steel City saw.

regards, Rod.

Fred Belknap
11-28-2008, 11:20 AM
never seen one and wondering if the miter slot is a t-slot or if it is metal and epoxied in or what?

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-28-2008, 1:53 PM
I don't believe the 35905 has the granite top. I should mention that I currently have a Powermatic Artisan saw (contractor-type) and it's fine, but the dust it creates is horrible. That's why I want an enclosed saw.

John Thompson
11-28-2008, 3:03 PM
The T slot on the granite tables is granite and so is the miter guage bar. The bar has a 1 1/2" approximate metal tab at the end that slips in the miter slot but an Incra gauge will work. However.. magnets won't on the granite top.

But.. this saw doesn't have a granite top and is basically the same saw as the Sears zip code (made by Orion which is owned by SC) which many have and are extremely pleased with. And that would be hard to argue!

You cannot compare this saw to a PM.. SS as mentioned as one is a $3000 saw and the other over $4000. That was pointed out by Rod. That would be similiar to comparing a Malibu to a Mercedes even though both get you from point A to point B just fine.

I will dis-agree with Scott on the fact granite chips easy but that is ir-relevant in this thread as the saw the OP mentions is not a granite top saw to begin with so.....

Sarge..

Robert Chapman
11-28-2008, 4:51 PM
I have a SC 35670 with their Industrial Fence. I really like the saw and the fence. Dust collection works just fine with my 2hp Onieda cyclone. Mine doesn't have a riving knife and I wish that it did.

Scott Myers
11-29-2008, 7:28 AM
Rod; I guess I wasn't clear on my comparison. I was trying to point out exactly what you pointed out that expecting the same built level as a $3,000 saw wouldn't be a realistic expectation.

Arnold: I don't know what kind of build quality Powermatic puts into their contractor saws. I've never even seen one. But since you have experience with a Powermatic saw specifically and are used to one, I would suggest inspecting these areas of the SC carefully and see if they live up to your personal expectations;

Handwheel contruction and assembly method to the shafts
Tilt shaft size and associated brake effectiveness
Blade height shaft size and associated brake effectiveness
Front trunnion gear and worm gear size and alignment

Now before someone jumps and starts flaming me why I would encourage someone to inspect these design/construction points specifically, again I want to point out that this saw was designed to be sold at a lower price point. It is in the "hybrid" category. I am not trying to tear down SC or anything of the like, as SC does make heavier saws (more expensive) I do believe. However, these are areas that are easily inspected on a showroom floor (no top removal required) a few of the key points and indicators of where costs were "cut out" of this particular line of "hybrid" saw. If someone is OK with the way these particular areas of the saw are designed and constructed, then they will probably be quite happy with the saw as a whole. Arnold wanted an unbiased opinion, and as much as humanly possible this is what I am trying to provide.

So yes, it is "ultra affordable", as Arnold states, but design trade-offs are what allows this. If you don't mind these trade offs, then you will love the saw.

NOTE: You guys are right. An error on the model numer on my part. A "G" must be on the end of the model number for it to be a granite top. Let me restate how I said how it can be chipped; The granite may be chipped with some effort. Not "very easily", so that wasn't fair. I am not talking dropping a small screwdriver on it, but if you are careless, you can chip it. The corners are especially prone to this of course. Granite is a natrually occuring stone (obviously) and as such, will have natural weaknesses in it. You never know where these might occur and you can't see them with the naked eye. But SC satands behind the granite top with a crazy long warranty, so if you get a natural fissure, then they will repalce it. Also, if you own more expensive mitre tools, like an Incra or JessEm mitre gauge, I assure you the slot in the granite top will take its toll on the mitre gauge's bar. I do have first hand experience with the granite topped SC saw.

Robert Strebler
11-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I have a Steel City 35900G saw and I'm very happy with it. It cuts accurately. My power was limited to 110v and I wanted a cabinet saw with a riving knife which helped make my decision.

As a hobbiest, the saw does everything I need it to do. The fence is fantastic! The table is dead flat. It's nowhere near as beefy as my old Unisaw, but it more than meets my needs as a hobbiest. Plus, it has a good riving knife!

At some point in the future when I get a shop with more power available, I'd like to get a SawStop if I can afford one. However, the Steel City with the riving knife is pretty nice so far. If I could do it all over again, I'd buy it again. It cuts straight and meets my needs. The price was good and the quality is good.