PDA

View Full Version : Remote switch

GLENN THOMAS
11-28-2008, 8:25 AM
Hi folks.

Usuallly I snoop around the turners forum but today I have an electrical question with what I think is a solution, but I wanted to see if there may be any problems with what I have in mind.

I have a Nova 1624 lathe and I want to add a remote start stop switch on 6 to 8 feet of cord so I dont have to reach around a spinning piece of work and the head stock to shut down if something goes wrong. The motor is a 1 1/2 hp and I believe it is rated at 13.5 amps. The hot and neutral go through a DPST magnetic switch and from there to the reverse switch, cap, and motor. My idea is to get another DTST magnetic switch and wire it parallel to the existing switch. My first idea was to use an extension cord but since the switches are DP I will need 4 conductors. I want to get some 14/4 wire used for wiring trailers from an auto parts store and use that with the switch mounted at one end and the other end at the head stock.

Does anyone see any reason this would not work. It all sounds good to me but Im not an electrician. I sure would hate to do something that would fry my motor.

Thanks in advance.
G.T.

Rod Sheridan
11-28-2008, 8:42 AM
Hi Glen, since you have a magnetic starter already, all you need is another pushbutton station.

You should be able to find a surplus pushbutton station with a normally closed stop button and a normally open start button.

The start button goes in parallel with the original start button, the stop button in series with the original stop button.

Normally only a piece of 16/4 cab tire cord is required, 3 control conductors and one ground conductor.

Regards, Rod.

Bruce Wrenn
11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
If you have low voltage controls, you only need three wires. Your push button assembly has two switches, one normally open (on), and one normally closed (off.) When you push on switch, current from transformer passes through on switch and latches relay on. One set of contacts in relay is in parallel with on switch. Thus, relay "latches on." When you push off switch, current to coil is interupted, allowing relay to open.

Chip Lindley
11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Hard to believe that your On Off switch is behind the lathe, in Harms Way!! Any chance you can just move the starter up front where it should have been originally? Wiring remains the same, just longer lengths.

GLENN THOMAS
11-30-2008, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. Did not know mag switches would work so well with a remote. The switch I have now is not actually located on the back side of the lathe, it is mounted on top of the motor which is mounted on the left side of the headstock. Normally this is not a problem but when I remove the tail stock and work on a hollow form from the end it puts the switch on the other side of the spinning work and tail stock.

G.T.