PDA

View Full Version : Purified water ? chiller ?

ian stewart
11-28-2008, 5:30 AM
Hi

Getting my first laser delivered next week
I have seen it mentioned that you should use a water purifier and a chiller for the cooling system

Do I need to buy these two additional items?

:confused:
Ian

Mike Null
11-28-2008, 7:05 AM
Ian

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

Most laser machines are air cooled. Unless your instructions say you should use a chiller it shouldn't be necessary and, in fact, may not be feasible.

Constant Laubscher
11-28-2008, 7:44 AM
You must use purified water to prevent calcium or other minerals from building up in the system.
You can buy it from most grocery stores.
The chiller might not come with all the fittings that you need to install and make all the connections but you will have to wait until you have the chiller.

Bob Keyes
11-28-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a 60 watt Chinese laser. It runs every day, 5 to 8 hours, and is cooled with 5 gallons of distilled water from Kroger. No chiller. The water is in a plastic storage bin with the pump submersed inside and holes cut in the top for the hoses. I do add a teaspoon of Clorox to the mix to stop the growth of bacteria. The only problem I've has in 3 years is that the pump went bad and I had to replace it. I suspect the Clorox got to the seals. The new one has ceramic seals.

Dave Johnson29
11-28-2008, 12:09 PM
The only problem I've has in 3 years is that the pump went bad and I had to replace it. I suspect the Clorox got to the seals. The new one has ceramic seals.

Just a few general comments here. You should not need to add Bleach or any other stuff to the water.

Use Distilled (de-ionized) water available at the Supermarket. The purified drinking water will almost certainly have some levels of added or natural hard salts, even Fluoride is added to almost all purified drinking water. Check the labels, it may surprise you.

If there is no light then bacteria cannot flourish. The idea here is to use black tubing and a darkened reservoir. The light from the laser is not in the correct wavelength to promote algae growth. Contrary to popular belief, warmth is not the catalyst for algae growth, it is light and diminishing oxygen content.

If you keep the water oxygenated bacteria cannot flourish. You can use a small fish-tank bubbler from Wallys for about 6-bucks.

Finally if you do still want to include some Bleach get a pump with Viton seals and not Neoprene. As Bob has found out, Bleach will eat the Neoprene seals.

ian stewart
12-01-2008, 3:44 PM
Thanks for advice

Will have to investigate Distilled (de-ionized) water

Not sure if available at the Supermarkets in UK

Would Calgon tablets work used with washing machines in hard water areas
I live in a very hard water area

But I will not bother with chiller

Ian

Levi Chanowitz
12-13-2008, 8:37 PM
I use tap water in my chinese laser for 2 years without any additives