PDA

View Full Version : Less than 9 hours until.......

Mark Rios
11-27-2008, 10:52 PM
.............someone, in each and every town large enough to have a mall, will get knocked down, trampled on and injured by throngs of people trying to buy a DVD player for $10.

Happy Holidays.

Butch Edwards
11-28-2008, 5:56 AM
..better do it whilst they can..cuz according to the news, mall foreclosures are the next crisis in waiting... seems the mall owners are going bankrupt as well as the homeowners....:cool:

Paul Greathouse
11-28-2008, 7:31 AM
I'll be safe, I'm at work till 5pm today. The fog was pretty thick when I passed through town this morning on the way to work so I couldn't see the mall from the interstate but I could see the packed parking lot at the BEST BUY electronics store. The line stretched back as far as I could see and it was only 4:30am.

I just can't imagine any deal that is good enough to be standing in line that early in the morning for. I can't recall every purposely going into town to shop on Black Friday. If I wasn't working this morning I would be in the duck blind with my two sons.

Mitchell Andrus
11-28-2008, 7:51 AM
Pretty silly.

Perhaps this economic downturn will rid us of the next impending Cabbage Patch Kid, or Wii grab-a-thon. - Probably not.

Going flying.

Heather Thompson
11-28-2008, 8:44 AM
I'll be safe, I'm at work till 5pm today. The fog was pretty thick when I passed through town this morning on the way to work so I couldn't see the mall from the interstate but I could see the packed parking lot at the BEST BUY electronics store. The line stretched back as far as I could see and it was only 4:30am.

I just can't imagine any deal that is good enough to be standing in line that early in the morning for. I can't recall every purposely going into town to shop on Black Friday. If I wasn't working this morning I would be in the duck blind with my two sons.

Paul,

Yesterday my husband and I drove past the Best Buy at 12:30P, there were three personal tents set up on the sidwalk and about thirty people standing around, they were staking out there places in line. :rolleyes: Let's see, it is 7:40AM, I'm still in my robe and the cinnamon rolls are in the oven, guess that speaks of my priorities. :)

Heather

Al Willits
11-28-2008, 8:50 AM
I'm at work today so that's my excuse...that and getting up at 4am to go shopping ain't gonna happen.
Not much I needed any way, I am just looking for a laptop, so there wasn't any real reason to join the mobs as I'm not sure which one to buy anyway..:)

Al

Greg Cole
11-28-2008, 9:10 AM
I have to examine my wife's sanity when she's getting up earlier to go shopping than I get up to deer hunt!!!!
The alarm went off at 3AM this morning. Wife said the parking lot at the "hot spot" was overflowing to the Lowes next door and across the street and the line to get in was a "mile long".
I'd gladly pay full price thanks.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 9:17 AM
The only shopping I'm going to do today is for a couple sheets of 1/2" veneer ply at a local specialty supplier. I don't expect there to be large groups of people milling around...as it were... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-28-2008, 9:29 AM
.............someone, in each and every town large enough to have a mall, will get knocked down, trampled on and injured by throngs of people trying to buy a DVD player for $10.

Happy Holidays.

Au Contrare! It never happens in Elk City, Idaho. The grocery store and convenience store there never sells DVD players and if they did it wouldn't be for $10......No Black Friday sales there!:D

Paul Greathouse
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Paul,

Yesterday my husband and I drove past the Best Buy at 12:30P, there were three personal tents set up on the sidwalk and about thirty people standing around, they were staking out there places in line. :rolleyes: Let's see, it is 7:40AM, I'm still in my robe and the cinnamon rolls are in the oven, guess that speaks of my priorities. :)

Heather

Sounds like your priorities are pretty well in order. Just wish you wouldn't have got my juices flowing with your mention of cinnamon rolls. I'm stuck in this control room all day with nothing but Thankgiving leftovers.

Walt Caza
11-28-2008, 3:08 PM
Jeepers Mark,
I thought you were exaggerating for dramatic effect.

Turns out a Walmart employee was trampled to death yesterday in Long Island - according to MSNBC.
The crowd of 200 physically broke down the doors and bumrushed the place.(their words, not mine)

It is a terrible tragedy,and I am sorry for the family's loss.
But, I just cannot imagine anything at that store worth dying for?

I try to expect the unexpected...
but this was more than I expected. sheesh
stay safe,
Walt

Jon Lanier
11-28-2008, 3:35 PM
This really stinks! I wasn't planing on going out today at all!!!! Ends up the fish (pets) are out of food and apparently wasn't even fed yesterday. (kids :mad:).

So, I must venture out into that hectic world before some of the fish start eating each other.

Rob Cunningham
11-28-2008, 6:08 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/28/business/29walmart.php

A Wal-Mart worker was trampled to death and a pregnant woman was also trampled and is in the hospital. It's sad that people can act this way to save a few bucks on stuff from Wal-Mart. So much for the Christmas spirit.

Bonnie Campbell
11-28-2008, 6:37 PM
A few years ago Walmart had a BIG special on a TV for black Friday. The next week you saw person after person hauling them back in because they didn't work. So, my thinking is, why fight to buy a big ticket item you're going to have to haul back because its 'cheap' for the fact that it was junk to begin with? I'll stay home and order online.....

Judy Kingery
11-28-2008, 6:47 PM
Tragic what folks do sometimes - nope, I despise shopping anyway, dislike crowds in general, and do my grocery shopping at 11 PM so there is no line whatsoever, no wait.

Ha, most of my Christmas presents, the few we give, we buy throughout the year if we see something someone would like - or just give a charitable contribution and call it complete. I make it a point to not even venture out on the Friday after TG. Much more fun to stay home, have leftovers with my husband, take a nap, and turn some wood in the shop!

Best wishes for a relaxing weekend for most then anyway!

Jude

Mitchell Andrus
11-28-2008, 7:32 PM
How prophetic. It did indeed happen. A deadly trampling at one store and a double homicide at another.

This planet is getting way too small. I can't wait til I can get a longer driveway.