PDA

View Full Version : 15 guage finish nailer question

Jason White
11-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Any real advantages to a 15-gauge finish nailer over a 16-gauge?

Jason

Bob Genovesi
11-28-2008, 7:44 AM
None that I can think of...

Clisby Clark
11-28-2008, 9:07 AM
The 16 will leave a smaller hole to fill which is good on furniture, but I always use a 15 on house work the nails are much more substantial.

Jason White
11-28-2008, 9:34 AM
Do you find it easier to get the 15-guage nailer into corners? I notice that they're angled a little differently in relationship to the handle.

Jason

The 16 will leave a smaller hole to fill which is good on furniture, but I always use a 15 on house work the nails are much more substantial.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 9:46 AM
The major difference, outside of the angled gun that can get into corners, is the fastener, itself. The 15 gage angle nailers use real nails with round shafts and a slightly clipped round head. They tend to have an adhesive on the fasteners, too, at least on those that I've purchased. Consequently, the 15 gage angle nailer should provide a stronger join. Outside of trim work in the house, I use mine for things like carcass assembly where I want to hold something together while the glue does it's thing. It's faster than screws, at least for tacking.

16 gage fasteners are "brads" like in the 18 gage guns. They are flat with a tee-shaped head. They are also more prone to following the wood grain, especially in harder woods.

That said, either one provides good utility. I don't own a 16 gage gun since there isn't enough to differentiate it from the 18 gage brad nailers and 15 gage angle gun I already have.

Jason White
11-28-2008, 9:48 AM
Are you able to "set" the nail heads like 16-gauge nails?

The major difference, outside of the angled gun that can get into corners, is the fastener, itself. The 15 gage angle nailers use real nails with round shafts and a slightly clipped round head. They tend to have an adhesive on the fasteners, too, at least on those that I've purchased. Consequently, the 15 gage angle nailer should provide a stronger join. Outside of trim work in the house, I use mine for things like carcass assembly where I want to hold something together while the glue does it's thing. It's faster than screws, at least for tacking.

16 gage fasteners are "brads" like in the 18 gage guns. They are flat with a tee-shaped head. They are also more prone to following the wood grain, especially in harder woods.

That said, either one provides good utility. I don't own a 16 gage gun since there isn't enough to differentiate it from the 18 gage brad nailers and 15 gage angle gun I already have.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 9:50 AM
Are you able to "set" the nail heads like 16-gauge nails?

Sure...if you need to. But with either gun, you should be able to adjust the tool so that they get set as they get driven. The only time you should have to do that manually is when the operator, umm....doesn't have the nose of the gun fully depressed or if the fastener encounters some "extra dense" material somewhere in it's path.

Sonny Edmonds
11-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Should be obvious when you know about wire guage.
I know it does not sound largely different, but it is.

Plus, I found when looking into buying mine that the 15 guage also had longer fasteners for it. For molding work, I wanted all of that to find the sill plates and door frames and sub structure to anchor my moldings.
It looks like they have changed that 1/4" difference since I got mine.
Also, I do a lot of crown moldings, so the angle of the dangle helps a lot for me.

I use this one. (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-DA250B-1-Inch-2-Inch-Angled/dp/B00006411D/ref=pd_cp_hi_1?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012NXJYI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RVF67DFYE0JET1M90HK)
I do not have this one. (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-FN250B-4-Inch-2-Inch-16-Gauge/dp/B00006411E/ref=pd_cp_hi_2?pf_rd_p=413863601&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0012NXJYI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RVF67DFYE0JET1M90HK)
But, like Jim, I will use my 18 guage for light work, or the 15 guage for more substantial work.

As side note, most of the contractors around here use Senco nailer's. I found Senco nails do not work well with PC machines. So when replacing a PC stapler (In the middle of a job! :mad: ) I got a Hitachi stapler.
Hitachi has NO problem shooting Senco fasteners. I also have a Hitachi Framing nailer which will shoot up to 20d, full round head nails. (Required here.)
I have been very impressed with their nailer's so far.

Steve Clardy
11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I have the PC 15 gauge also.
About the only time I use it is for trim work in a house.
Base, door, window trim [Pine]
Hardwood I will use the 16 ga

Matt Ocel
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
If you have an opportunity to use a 15g vs 16g head to head, you can tell the difference. 15g is much more beefy, better holding power.

FYI -
When I buy my Pneumatic guns, I ask my guy,

"Which one comes in Less for repairs"

he always responds "Hitachi"

Then I tell him I'll take the Hitachi.

Don Dorn
11-28-2008, 4:14 PM
I bought a 15 because I already had an 18 and needed something more substantial for a project. Therefore, I bought the HF model since I got it on a "Super Sale". I used it for that project (and others) without fail, then my brother used it to tack up the siding on his new 24x24 shop. Then, I remodeled and added to my own and used it extensively. So far, it's gone through at least 5 packages of nails and so far hasn't missed a beat. It has far exceeded my expectations for it and it is one time where cheap worked out just fine.

Jim Kountz
11-28-2008, 4:42 PM
Not all 15ga angled guns are the same. I have a Bostich 15ga angled nailer that doesnt shoot the round-er nail. It shoots a T-brad like the 16ga guns only a gauge larger. I also have a Porter Cable and a couple of Senco guns that do shoot the round type finish nail. Like others have said it depends on what Im doing but I mostly reach for the 15ga angled nailer when doing casework, crown or such. As far as the 15ga T-brad nailer its great when you dont need/want the round nail.

Jim Becker
11-28-2008, 7:21 PM
That's interesting, Jim. I've never seen a 15 gage gun that shoots flat brads! Learn something new every day around here... :)

Jim Kountz
11-28-2008, 9:05 PM
Actually Craftsman made one too but it wasnt an angled nailer. I think Paslode puts one out. One thing though its getting harder to find ammo for it. I once was able to get a box of 2500 at any of the Borgs. Nowadays I can only seem to find the small 1000 packs and only in a 2" or 2.5" length.