PDA

View Full Version : Bench flattening party in Indy?

Richard Magbanua
11-27-2008, 7:51 PM
My Schwarz/ Roubo workbench is almost done, but I need to flatten the top. The largest plane I have is a #5 which would probably work alright but I would like to use a jointer plane. So I was wondering, are there any 'creekers in Indy with a jointer plane willing to lend some time in exchange for a beer or wine and some tool talk? I had been looking on the web for vintage jointers but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving!

Zahid Naqvi
11-27-2008, 8:17 PM
I'm sure you'll find someone, although too far away from my neck of the wood. Nothing like making curly shavings.

Wallis Hampson
11-28-2008, 7:11 AM
Bench looks fabulous! I am really jealous of that window you have. I would kill or at least mame for some natural light on my bench.

Richard Magbanua
11-28-2008, 7:27 AM
Thanks! This is going to be my handtools workshop. It's a 15'x15' cottage behind the house. It's also the playhouse for the boys. Since I've been bitten by the handtools and handwork bug I decided to set up in there so can work on my off days while my 3 year old plays with his trains and watches Thomas the Tank Engine. It's also heated and has A/C unlike the barn.
BTW the little table under the bench was my first project I made about ten years ago in a two bedroom bungalo when I inexplicably started this woodworking journey. I still keep it around to remind me about when this all started.

Greg Cole
11-28-2008, 9:07 AM
Awful long drive from Kansas City too... I'd love to let you take the old Stanley #7 I aquired from Bob but I'm not keep on the drive.
Then I'd have to letcha follow up with the LA jack and make that top shine!
I'm sure someone will come through for you.
Oh yeah, NICE bench.

Ron Brese
11-28-2008, 9:34 AM
That's a nice bench. Why not make a wooden jointer plane to flatten the bench? You'll get your bench flat and you'll have a plane when all is said and done.

Ron Brese

Richard Magbanua
11-30-2008, 9:24 AM
Well, I didn't want to wait any longer so I flattened it with my #5. It think it went pretty well. It got everything flat within .015 using a feeler gauge and winding sticks. It only took about an hour which is alot faster than I thought. This was the first real time using my hand planes to flatten something and I was very pleased with how well it worked. I still want to either find a jointer plane or make one someday (great suggestion Ron!).
Here are some pics.

Question, How flat should I be aiming for on a workbench?

I'll be lathering on the BLO this week!

If anyone is interested, you can see pictures of me making this bench on my Flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magbanua/sets/72157610497536990/

Richard Magbanua
11-30-2008, 9:27 AM
Some more pictures of the top...

Barry Vabeach
11-30-2008, 9:36 AM
Richard, .015 is more than flat enough for me. In use, I find that the only area that I need to be very flat is the area where I do the majority of the planing - which is an area maybe 2 feet long by 1 foot wide nearest my end stop . If that area is way off, you will notice the results in planing pieces. Nice looking bench, hope you get years of use out of it.

Luke Townsley
11-30-2008, 5:11 PM
I flattened my bench with a Jack plane also and it came out pretty well. I could have taken another pass or two, but I thought I would wait until I got a better plane for the job and the bench settled in a bit, but it has been great.

The only problem I had is that I got a couple of square inches on one back corner a bit low, since a Jack plane is a bit harder to register than a longer plane, but it is not a problem at all since I don't plane on the back of the bench.

Doing the job with a Jack plane requires a flat sole, as well as patience and care, but it can work just fine as you found out.

Mark Wyatt
11-30-2008, 7:39 PM
Ahhh, If only I had seen the post sooner! I have a lovely "new" stanley #8, type 9 that I'm sure would have worked wonders on a bench top. All it needs is a little cleaning, sharpening, and tuning which I'm sure you would have graciously offered in return :D.

Richard Magbanua
11-30-2008, 8:29 PM
Mark, don't fret. I'm sure I'll have another project for your #8 someday. I'd be happy to have you over.:)