PDA

View Full Version : The new LV dovetail saw

Zahid Naqvi
11-27-2008, 1:40 PM
Continuing with the innovative design of the block planes, here's the new DT saw (http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=&cat=4,104,53212,61974&p=61974). Anyone got their hand on one yet.

Brent Smith
11-27-2008, 4:10 PM
Hi Zahid,

I received mine a couple of days ago. I've only had time to play around a bit with it, but I do like it. I would have preferred a slightly more canted handle and maybe a touch more weight in the spine, but over all a good saw, especially for the price. Out of the box I found it easier to start than a new LN saw is. The handle, aside from my previous remark, is almost as if fitted to my hand (a medium to large hand). I've used quite a few different Dt saws and this one, while not at the top of the list, does certainly deserve a place in anyones tool chest. I think it will be especially great for beginners, considering the price and the fact that it will be very easy to learn to sharpen with it.

Brian Sullivan
11-27-2008, 6:05 PM
I received mine today and I love it. I thought I had my Crown Tools gents saw tuned up pretty well, but the Veritas saw blows it away. Cuts fast, thin and straight. I could never justify paying for an expensive DT saw, but I ordered mine as soon as I saw Alf's review.

Doug Shepard
11-27-2008, 6:51 PM
... Anyone got their hand on one yet.

Does getting your hand on the box count? Mine got here yesterday but with Thanksgiving stuff going on today I haven't had time to take it out for a test drive yet.

Joe Cunningham
11-27-2008, 7:43 PM
I got it yesterday and it cut nice and true. I tried DTs in both pine and red oak and both were easy to control and had just enough aggressiveness.

I did have a bit of a hard time starting cuts until I relaxed and let the saw do the work--likely from my own poor form rather than anything inherent in the saw. It fit my hand well and the cutting stroke felt quite natural.

I've never used a 'true' DT saw, so my comments are coming from a decidedly novice perspective.

As far as looks, I dunno what the big deal is. I think it looks nice.

Derek Cohen
11-27-2008, 8:31 PM
I also only received mine at the beginning of this week, and just had a very brief play with it. I was involved with the previous prototype, which cut superbly, but was quite a different saw from this one.

What I am reminded - as I did a couple of cuts against my Mike Wenzloff-sharpened IT (pre-LN) - was that the teeth need a little tome to settle in. It cut easily, straight and very smoothy, but not as smoothly as the IT. After I have done a dozen or so dovetails I am sure that the differences will be minimised.

I like the grip and balance, and the blade back is actually a lot slimmer in real than in photo. All bodes well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Becker
11-27-2008, 9:48 PM
Zahid... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97116

:D :D :D

Ya gotta move a little faster when new tools come on the market if you want to be the first to call them out! LOL

Zahid Naqvi
11-27-2008, 11:35 PM
that tells you how much of a tool nut I am ;)

John Keeton
11-28-2008, 7:20 AM
Jim, please understand that Zahid lives in the deep South. When electrons pass the Ohio River, they slow considerably. He may have just yesterday been able to view the prior posts!

Zahid, us Southerners need to watch each other's backs and I have yours.

Zahid Naqvi
11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
thanks John, you are correct, fried electrons certainly run slower. I once told a not so southern friend of mine that we fry everything including ice cream, he thought I was pulling his leg (he had just moved to Little Rock), until he visited the state fair and actually saw a sign advertising fried ice cream. I bet the electrons too get fried along the way :eek:

Zach Dillinger
12-01-2008, 7:47 PM
I received my LV saw in the mail today. I've only cut a few dovetails with it since, but it works as advertised. It cuts to a line, nice and straight, and cuts fast. It also started easily. I don't know yet if it will take over for the Grammercy saw kit I built, but I can definately see myself grabbing for this saw when working in 3/4 inch stuff.

I'm looking forward to getting this saw broken in.

Zach Dillinger
Charlotte, MI

David Keller NC
12-02-2008, 9:31 AM
"I once told a not so southern friend of mine that we fry everything including ice cream, he thought I was pulling his leg (he had just moved to Little Rock), until he visited the state fair and actually saw a sign advertising fried ice cream."

Hey Zahid - Believe it or not, we've got you beat on this one here in NC - fried ice cream is so last century. :D The "new thing" at the fair last year was fried coke (the beverage, not the drug!). As nearly as I could figure out, the fair vendors were mixing coca-cola syrup with flour and sugar and frying it up in peanut oil. Believe it or not, the thing was actually quite good - much, much better than the fried candy bars or the fried casserole (yeah, believe it or not - fried chicken tetrazini on a stick) were this year.

Bill Houghton
12-02-2008, 11:24 AM
thanks John, you are correct, fried electrons certainly run slower.

And here I thought it was the draaaawwwwlll necessary to be understandable in the South that slowed them down.

Don Dorn
12-05-2008, 11:52 PM
I took delivery of mine today. It feels great in my hand and does cut very nice. I must admit though that my old gents saw sharpened and tuned the Frank Klausz way cuts as fast, but doesn't feel as nice or as smooth. I'm very happy with the purchase.

John Keeton
12-06-2008, 8:48 AM
And here I thought it was the draaaawwwwlll necessary to be understandable in the South that slowed them down.
I'm sorry Bill, I didn't catch that. You must have typed it too fast - could you repeat it?

Ted Jay
12-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Jim, please understand that Zahid lives in the deep South. When electrons pass the Ohio River, they slow considerably. He may have just yesterday been able to view the prior posts!

Zahid, us Southerners need to watch each other's backs and I have yours.

I'm down here in Texas..... there's a new DT saw out????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: