PDA

View Full Version : Spurtles & Spreaders

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2008, 1:21 PM
Turned another Spurtle and a couple of jam spreaders for gifts.

The new Spurtle is the one with 3 burn lines in the center of the handle. It measures 11” long x 1” thick at the widest portion.

The larger spreader is 7 5/8” long, the smaller one is 7 3/8” long. Both have tapered blades that are 1” wide. The spreaders were turned first, then the blades were thinned down on the bandsaw and given final shape on the disk sander (which is on my old lathe).

Everything is out of cherry, sanded to 400 grit and has mineral oil for a finish.

102132 102133

As always, your comments, critiques or opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

David Walser
11-27-2008, 1:36 PM
Steve, I'd never thought of turning a jam spreader on the lathe. Great idea! I think the set would make a nice addition to any home. The cherry and burn details (on the spurtles) compliment each other nicely.

Maybe, for a wedding gift some day I'll turn a lidded honey pot, honey dipper, and jam spreader.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2008, 1:50 PM
Beautiful Steve. I never gave it a thought but what nice gifts those would make.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2008, 2:08 PM
Great work Steve!

I"ll never turn a spurtle. Looks to much like a billyclub to me. The LOML would find a secondary use for it I"m sure!

robert hainstock
11-27-2008, 2:31 PM
Those will all be big sellers Steve. Very nice! :)
Bob

Brian Brown
11-27-2008, 3:19 PM
Steve,

Those look great, and I am sure that they will be appreciated by whomever you give them to.

Just a quick question. I have always wanted to make some letter openers that are all wood, made from 1 piece of wood. It would be a lot like your jam spreaders. Did you use a jig to hold them through the bandsaw and sander, or were you able to get them even and ballanced freehand?

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2008, 3:34 PM
Brian - I just freehand everything and try to get as close as I can but stay on the thick side. I use the disk sander to take everything to final shape. No jigs but I do wear gloves!

Richard Madison
11-27-2008, 3:49 PM
As Curt noted in the other thread, of all the spurtles I have ever seen (2), these are absolutely the very best.

My wife also says to not make one, as she prefers a wooden spoon.

Jim Kountz
11-27-2008, 8:21 PM
Great work Steve!

I"ll never turn a spurtle. Looks to much like a billyclub to me. The LOML would find a secondary use for it I"m sure!

Yeah Id be careful with that one too!! My wife doesnt need anymore "weapons" around here!

Jim Becker
11-27-2008, 9:42 PM
All very nice work, Steve...nothing at all to critique!

Eugene Wigley
11-27-2008, 9:59 PM
Steve, those look great. This gives me ideas for all kinds of things that could be turned on a lathe. Thamks for posting this.

Allen Neighbors
11-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice work, Steve. The Spurtles are nice. Jam Spreaders are too, and Her Majesty says that one of those with a longer handle would be perfect for large jars of Miracle Whip. So I'm going to give them a try, too!
Thanks for posting! :)

Curt Fuller
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Those spreaders will reach all the way to the bottom of one of those big Costco jars or peanut butter without getting your fingers all gooey. Excellent! I'm going to outright copy those!

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2008, 4:10 AM
Hi Steve :D, you have a nice line to the spurtles Steve, like the first one just a hair better'n the second one, Ive always turned a beat at the font of the handle to avoid the food running onto the hand, but I would think your bulge might be enough to do that, you got any thought/experience on that ??, as it makes for a cleaner line on yours and just less work/material I think :).

Care to detail the spreader production a bit ??, it is a thing I could maybe make a few of for some gift giving, (if time allows ;))

John Ponder
11-28-2008, 6:06 PM
Thanks Steve,
Your turning is always great but with these spurdles you have inspired a beginning turner with a fun new project. I was able to approximate your design my first try. The wife did not know what a spurdle was, so I told her it was a magic wand for those recipes that did not go so well.
John