PDA

View Full Version : honing chisels

Ron Bontz
11-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Just a quick question if I may. What is everyone using to hone their lathe chisels these days? I am coming close to finishing my kitchen cabinets as well as other projects I have going. I have a few bowl tools a talon a new grinder with the wolverine system. Just ordered the vari-grind acces. A large chunk of spalted maple 16-17" dia. x 4" and an tremendous itch to scratch before I break out in hives. Swimming hard to keep from getting sucked into the vortex. :)

Gary Herrmann
11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Splitting hairs - but hone or sharpen? I use my 8" grinder and wolverine to sharpen. I use a diamond stone to hone - touch up or refine the edge.

I use my wet wheel to hone flat work chisels and irons, but haven't gotten into that habit regularly with turning tools - probably because it isn't close to the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2008, 1:52 PM
I use the Tormek to sharpen and hone now. I used to use the grinder and a diamond hone like Alan Lacer uses. It can be found at one of the major wood suppliers.

robert hainstock
11-27-2008, 2:35 PM
I've always used my 6in high speed buff, and white diamond. :)
Bob

Mark Singer
11-27-2008, 2:38 PM
Japanese chisels with Shapton stones. I have both the Tormek and The Veritas II . So for western chisels I hone with the Veritas II if I want a hollow bevel the Tormek. With the concave bottom on a Japanese chisel a hollow bevel is not the best

Jim Kountz
11-27-2008, 8:24 PM
With the concave bottom on a Japanese chisel a hollow bevel is not the best

Hey Mark, Im curious as to why that is? I have a few Japanese chisels with the concave bottom and I ground them with a hollow bevel. They seem to work fine but I admit I dont use them as much as my other chisels. What should I be looking out for in doing this?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Becker
11-27-2008, 9:46 PM
I don't hone my turning tools...right from the grinder to the spinning workpiece. Sometimes, the time between touch-ups at the grinder (when doing finishing shearing cuts on spalted wood, for example) is measured in minutes or less...honing would not really be a timely solution for me.

I will note that for the small cutters used on my hollowing gear, I do "hone" with a diamond sharpening stick the top of the cutters to resharpen as they are very touchy and delicate around a grinder.

Ron Bontz
11-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. Happy holidays.:)

Mark Singer
11-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Jim
The traditional edge is a flat bevel. There is also a weakness where the concave back and hollow bevel are almost intersecting. This requires flattening the back more often.

terry richards
11-28-2008, 9:47 AM
Directly from the grinder to the wood. freshen up the edge:confused: between grindings with an India stone. Clean the stone every now n then with mineral spirits and a toothbrush.