PDA

View Full Version : heat gun keep or return?

Jay Yoder
11-27-2008, 9:13 AM
Since i just solved the issue of removing the laminate (see my help with oops posting) using an old clothes iron, i am not sure i need to keep the gun now. Should i return it to HF along with the accessory kit (total value approx $18) or is worth keeping around? What possible uses are there that i could justify keeping it? Just curious what else a heat gun is used for...

Jason Hanko
11-27-2008, 9:35 AM
Dont know if this applies to you - but its the only way I can get the pressure-sensitive adhesive discs off my sander in winter.
Otherwise, they dry hair a LOT faster than a regular hair dryer... :D

David G Baker
11-27-2008, 10:10 AM
A heat gun is handy to have around. I use mine for bending PVC pipe, paint stripping and anything else I can thing of. I would keep it if it is of usable quality.

Tony Bilello
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I use it for bending laminate around the edge of rectangular tables with radiused edges

Larry Fox
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree with others - keep it around. I use mine fairly frequently for odds and ends. I used it the other day to put a piece of electrical shrink-tubing on a hamster wheel to keep it from squeaking so there are a thousand uses.

Karl Brogger
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
If its a really good one, you can solder with it. Works pretty well on copper pipe.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
For $18?......I use one a couple of times a year. Having one around saves me from stopping a project until the next moring when the Borgs or the hardware store or paint stores open. They come in handy!

Rich Engelhardt
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Hello,
$18 is "cheap insurance".
I'd keep it.

Then again - make sure you aren't as disorganized as I am..:rolleyes:

I had to stop in the middle of a job and run out and buy one for ~ $50.00 one time when I had to remove some old tile adhesive.
I'd misplaced mine and needed one like - right now.

Now I have two.
They keep each other company sitting on the shelf waitng for the day I need one again - when both are sure to run away and hide....:(

My life is like that though -where I can spend more time finding the things to do the job, than actually doing the job itself.

Justin Leiwig
11-27-2008, 1:08 PM
Living in the north east of ohio it will come in handy for defrosting water lines and other such things.

Andy Casiello
11-27-2008, 1:29 PM
Nice to have around for shrink tubing on electrical work.

Jay Yoder
11-27-2008, 1:47 PM
Living in the north east of ohio it will come in handy for defrosting water lines and other such things.

Yep that is a great point! Never thought of it that way! At least today is not bad at all...40 deg and sun...