PDA

View Full Version : G0490X Broken Piece

Jeremy Rayburn
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
So I am assembling my G0490X that I just received on Tuesday, finally got it all put together, and am getting rid of the crate, and find this piece. I am assuming it came from the bottom of the table because after thorough inspection, I see nothing broken off anywhere else. Any idea what it is?? Should I crank it up and see what happens?? It is extremely hard to have this piece of equipment in my shop and not be able to use it yet! I am going to email the pic to Grizz CS also, but I'm sure they won't be in until Friday...

Sonny Edmonds
11-26-2008, 11:09 PM
.. it's a big piece of cast iron!
:eek:
No, no idea at all, but it appears to be substantial, like maybe a stop or such. (Do to the machined area that appears to be on it.)
Well, you have something to occupy your time while waiting for Griz to open, hunt down where it came from.
Damnhit! :mad:
I'm waiting to see how it does for you with figured wood. :rolleyes:

Scott Wigginton
11-26-2008, 11:19 PM
I just put my G0490 together and my guess is that it came from a corner or bottom of the main assembly or the fence carriage.

Jeremy Rayburn
11-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Okay, so now I find a crack in the extension table, and it won't tighten flush against the table. Also, the infeed table lip wasn't flush, so I went to adjust it and it is dinged up!

Did figure out the the piece of cast iron didn't come from the fence or fence carriage, and i am too tired to unscrew the table and lift it.... Thanksgiving project I guess. And I haven't even wired the plug on yet!

The two brighter circular spots on the last pic are a top view of the 2nd pic (infeed table lip)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Jeremy......send your photographs in an email to Grizzley. They'll make it right. The owner is a Creeker and he checks in pretty regularly. He gives his "crew" a chance to respond and the Papa Bear gets involved. Grizzley will make it right with you I'm sure.

Rick Fisher
11-27-2008, 3:40 AM
Although it may not feel like it right now, your lucky you got it from Grizzly.
This could happen with any manufacturer.... Grizzly will look after..

Russ Massery
11-27-2008, 9:33 AM
I would think for a moment about getting repair parts. Which is a option with Grizzly. Looking at the damage to the unit. I would have it Replaced. I have several Grizzly machines they have been great replacing or offering repair parts. I wish other companies had customer service as good as Grizzly.

Chip Lindley
11-27-2008, 1:47 PM
Thou Shalt Not Blame Grizzly! (entirely) Remember that a Common Carrier delivered your jointer to your door. Notorious for drop kicking and disregard for fragile cast iron. Sad but True! :-(

Andy Casiello
11-27-2008, 3:31 PM
And I haven't even wired the plug on yet!

Don't! That unit should go back to Grizzly, with a claim being filed for damaging the unit. Grizzly will take care of you. Too bad, that's a bummer. I wouldn't repair that one though.

glenn bradley
11-27-2008, 4:15 PM
When I saw the first pic I thought "there is no way that crate showed up without serious damage. It had to get hit hard to bust that piece off. Hopefully you noted it on the slip before signing.

Now seeing the second pic, I say "send that thing back". There is too much chance of other damage that you have not found yet.

Jeremy Rayburn
11-27-2008, 10:53 PM
So I finally got the hoist around the table and lifted it up again off the stand to try and find the source of the missing piece of cast iron. I not only found the spot in came off, I found another piece still wedged in there! And the scary part is that is was very near the cutterhead. So I took more pics of course. The problem it causes is that the table shaft that it is near is loose and slides back and forth under the table. Look forward to hearing from Grizzly tomorrow. There was no damage to the box, although some nails were backing out. Just figured that was no big deal though.

Dewey Torres
11-28-2008, 12:15 AM
I hope this isn't a trend. The same thing happened to my Mortiser upon arrival:

Bad batch of steel??? Coincidence:confused:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101581&d=1227230738http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101582&d=1227230738http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=101583&d=1227230769

glenn bradley
11-28-2008, 1:18 AM
So I finally got the hoist around the table and lifted it up again off the stand to try and find the source of the missing piece of cast iron.

Yikes! I am glad the damage is restricted to the machine and nothing got launched. I had the switch box arrive scuffed up a bit on my unit due to a failed packing pad and Griz was super-quick about supplying a replacement. Proceed as you see best but (and its easy to say this from here where my 490X is operational) I would always be a bit nervous around that machine if I had another option.

All the best and please keep us posted.

Anthony Whitesell
11-28-2008, 6:14 AM
I purchased a G0490 a few weeks ago. When I lift the bed onto the base, a bolt fell on the ground. I looked and looked to figure out where it came from (what it was supposed to be hold in place) and couldn't figure it out. a short time later I found one on the other side. A bolt just sitting in a hole with no nuts. Then I noticed the holes in the bottom of the crate! They were the bolts that were SUPPOSED to be hold the bed to the crate! Either the nuts weren't there or the fell off. Luckily, I couldn't find any damage and it runs well.

Russ Massery
11-28-2008, 9:32 AM
Jeremy, Wow after see all that damage no question it's going back. I would send them the pictures that you have posted here. I'm sure Grizzly will make things right. My table saw just had minor damage they replace all the damaged part and Still offered to replace the saw if I wasn't satisfied.

Jeremy Rayburn
11-28-2008, 3:24 PM
very eerily similar...

Jeremy Rayburn
11-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Mine was actually still bolted to the crate, I'm still not sure how the damage could have happened unless it was dropped. Grizzly contacted me on Friday, so now the waiting game is on. I just hope I can somehow get it in my shop running by next weekend.

Jerry Booher
11-29-2008, 8:00 PM
My G0490X Jointer, G1021X2 Planer and G0555 Bandsaw from Grizzly were all delivered by a gorilla from UPS. He smashed and dropped the tools. The 700# planer box with a fragile precision machinery warning was dropped on its side much to my horror as it happened. The boxes were coming apart and all 3 tools were damaged. I refused the shipment.

Second shipment. Bandsaw was good. Jointer and planer boxes looked great. Inside the good-looking boxes was machinery that was obviously repackaged damaged stuff and was even worse than the first shipment. Grizzly was hoping I would keep it and they could send replacement parts and paint. I considered it, but worried that because they were literally shipped upside down, it would require extensive adjustment to "fragile precision machinery".

Third shipment was packaged with reinforcements and pallets. Success!

Grizzly is a really nice company to work with.

Jerry

Larry Kite
11-29-2008, 8:21 PM
Had a broken crank on a Grizzly shaper, shipper damage. Griz replaced it super quick no questions.

Sometime the measure of a company is not what happened but what they did about it.

Jeremy Rayburn
12-03-2008, 9:45 AM
So Grizzly contacted me yesterday and I should hear from UPS Freight soon about setting up a time to pick up the damaged table. Which sucks because they aren't sending the new table until UPS picks up the old one.. It's rough being without a jointer for two weeks.

Scott Myers
12-03-2008, 9:53 AM
I too have been down the trucking damage path. I hope things get cleared up for you guys. It happens, especially on this heavy cast iron stuff. Cast iron is fairly brittle after all. It tends to break before it bends much.

Matt Day
12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Since you have no use for it, how about you send me your cutter head whle you're waiting? :p

Sorry to hear about your damaged machine, but when you get a shiny new one you'll forget all about it.

Gideon Robertson
12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Jeremy-

I've got some pretty close to identical pictures I took when I received my G0490... I received my jointer with those same exact pieces broken. There are four in the jointer, two on the infeed side, two in the outfeed side. I'm not sure I can explain it well, but they are the vertical pieces of the parallelogram mechanism (i.e. the "/" piece in the diagram below) that changes the table height.

----------------------
/........................... /
---------------------

In any case, I had the jointer mounted on the stand before I discovered the broken pieces, and it was not terribly easy to replace them. I don't have overly large arms, but I did have to get the wife to place the interior plate correctly...

Anyways, good luck with the jointer, I know Grizzly will make it right.

Gideon

Dewey Torres
12-08-2008, 7:10 PM
I am expecting my mortiser tomorrow!

I hope the driver is coming with his patience hat on as I plan on opening the box and taking out all the parts while he watches before I sign.

Fingers crossed.

Rick Fisher
12-08-2008, 7:28 PM
I wonder how this can remain affordable?

The shipping company must be paying for the damage? I would think that they would eventually just refuse to carry machinery?

Jeremy Rayburn
12-08-2008, 10:09 PM
So I finally got the jointer today, and they did a much better job of packaging the jointer table this time, as it was crated up. Opened it up, put it back together, and everything runs smooth. Had to adjust the outfeed table and fence, but once I made the adjustments, it made some sweet cuts. It was definitely worth it, despite the two week wait. Below is a pic of the first jointer (in the back of my truck) and the one that I got today. Also, I have a piece of curly hard maple that I ran across my old jointer, and then a pic of it after I ran it across the spiral cutterhead. Also ran a piece of figured cherry over it, and there was no tearout at all. I'm amazed at the difference in the quality of cut when I ran the figured stock through it compared to my old Rigid. No regrets at all, just wish I could have found this out two weeks ago!!

glenn bradley
12-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Glad that all got squared away. I haven't had much trouble with Griz stuff but did send a fence back once. They sent the new one and had me pack the old one in the same box. This was a casting flaw though and not shipping damage. The reason I am rambling is I was disappointed to read that they made you wait! I guess they may have needed the damaged goods for a freight claim(?). At any rate; I LOVE my G0490X and I bet you will too.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 1:16 AM
Jeremy,
I am not knocking Rigid as you can find that oh so familiar orange and Grey on more than a few tools in my shop but to compare your old Rigid jointer to this Griz is almost like Festool vs. Harbor Freight... (Not to knock HF either as you will also find HF tools in my shop) I think you get the idea though.

I will get my Mortiser Tomorrow ... can't wait. Make sure to see my posts on the Great Morris Chair Build (30 thousand views!!!) wow.:D

Brad Patch
12-09-2008, 8:27 AM
Note how thin the wall thickness is of the cast housing that broke. Opens up a lot of questions.

Dewey Torres
12-09-2008, 9:49 PM
Jeremy,
I hope your new machine is as good as mine. I also got my new delivery today.

Brad,
I sure hope there is no issue with the steel thickness as you eluded to. I have a project or tow for this baby and I am ready to rock on!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103226&d=1228877090