PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Forms

Jim Evans
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
My next addiction to feed is hollow forms. I've done 2 so far with mixed results and having a blast making chips.

Does anyone know of any good books on hollowing, both technique and form?

Thanks

Neal Addy
11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
There are several good videos available. Trent Bosch and Lyle Jamieson are both worth a viewing. Lyle's is oriented around use of his captive rig but the same principles apply to turning by hand.

As far as form there's nothing like studying the work of others.

John Abt
11-27-2008, 7:03 AM
I just finished reading David Ellsworth's new book "Ellsworth on Woodturning". It's available on Amazon.com and is well worth a read. He covers virtually all aspects of vessel turning, bowls, hollow forms, design, etc.

Ellsworth also has two videos, "Tips for Turners #3: Hollow Forms", and "Tips for Turners #T: Tools for Hollow Turning". John Jordan has an excellent video, Hollow Turning" and Mike Mahoney also has one , "Hollow Forms and Urns: A Workshop".

All are available on DVD from both Craft Supplies and Packard.

John

John Abt
11-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Jim,

I almost forgot. Mike Darlow's book "Woodturning Design" is a complete study of designing for woodturning. Also thru Amazon.

Jim Evans
11-27-2008, 2:23 PM
Thanks everyone - I'll have to give the list to my wife.
She always says I'm so hard to buy presents for... And she is right, if I want something I usually go out and buy it.