PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my shop

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 8:05 PM
Having seen pictures of other members shops, I thought I would throw some out there... maybe just to show that we aren't all tidy woodworkers.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2008, 8:09 PM
Derek,

Nice sized shop!

Where are you located in Central Oregon? We lived in Bend in 1977-78

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 8:22 PM
Thanks Ken, though I could do with a few thousand more feet... you know, we fill the space we have and all...
We are in the heart of Bend, though I dare say it has grown a bit since 78, we are floating around a population of 80,000 now. I love it here. winter is still a season, but by no means anything like the coast of Massachusetts

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2008, 8:29 PM
Yup...It's grown a bit! It was around 18,000 when we lived there. St. Charles Medical Center was newly opened when we moved there. None of the buildings surrounding it were there then. It set out on the edge of the desert by itself. There was no by-pass around Bend then. We checked last year via the Deschutes County tax records. The house we bought for $31,500 and sold for $41,500...now has an tax assessment value of $234,000.

I'm afraid I couldn't afford to live there anymore.

But....the scenery around Bend.....say from the top of Pilot Rock....or the cafeteria of St. Charles.....prettiest view in this entire country IMHO!

My wife was a flatlander who had never been out west. I drug her there screaming and shouting. She's from a small farming town 110 miles south of Chicago. 20 months later I got promoted to management and we moved to a southern suburb of Chicago and I commuted in daily. She cried all the way back! She fell in love with the area around Bend. 4 1/2 years later we took Lewiston, Idaho sight-unseen. She had to get back to the mountains. So did I!

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 8:47 PM
IMHO anywhere west of the Rockys is about as beautiful as anyone could want to see. That and the trout in Oregon , though skittish, are a blast. Best fly fishing in the world, and still be home for dinner.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2008, 9:18 PM
Yeah...the fly fishing is pretty good there.

On December 23rd....I'm going fly fishing. The LOML has hired a guide to take me fly fishing...........:D An anniversary present.........near Christchurch, NZ!:D:D:D

Dave Mura
11-26-2008, 9:18 PM
Very nice shop.

John Thompson
11-26-2008, 9:22 PM
Nice.. large shop... mine's not small but would be deemed that way compared to yours.

Sarge..

Dewey Torres
11-26-2008, 9:31 PM
1) how does that sitting bench not tip:confused:

2) how the heck do you get to that wall cabinet in pic #3:confused:

Very nice shop and HUGE:D!

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 9:47 PM
1) how does that sitting bench not tip:confused:

2) how the heck do you get to that wall cabinet in pic #3:confused:

Very nice shop and HUGE:D!The "sitting bench is actually a picture of my shop with a bike themed shelf sitting on one of the tables ( held up by a stick in the background) the 3rd pic is one that just happens to have a dresser I am working on sitting on the same bench.

Let me put it another way... the camera for which the memory card is here at the shop, is not at the shop, and as such in my haste to fit in here and post pics, I posted what I had. not the best, but the mess shows up great...
Ken...NZ? I dont wanna talk to you no more....*emitting sparks of jealousy*
Dave, Sarge- thanks.

Dewey Torres
11-26-2008, 9:54 PM
The 3rd pic is one that just happens to have a dresser I am working on sitting on the same bench.

No I mean the cabinet that looks like it is at the ceiling in the background which judging by the size of your shop appears to be 50 or 60 ft off the ground.:)

Jason Hanko
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
No I mean the cabinet that looks like it is at the ceiling in the background which judging by the size of your shop appears to be 50 or 60 ft off the ground.:)

That looks like a decent sized heater to me.... vented NG or LP heater hanging from the ceiling?

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 11:35 PM
exactly. a 100000 btu reznor. I haven't fired it up yet this year (22F) this year, in an attempt at cost saving, and toughening up the apprentice.

John Keeton
11-27-2008, 7:41 AM
Nice shop Derek, and its warming to see that others work in a less than sterile environment.

That bicyle wheel shelf unit should be a thread to itself - really neat. I would like to see more about that project.

Don Bullock
11-27-2008, 9:54 AM
Derek, that's a nice looking shop.

Greg Cole
11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Nice size is right! I bump my darned head on the HVAC chase in my garage shop.....
Very envious of the capaciousness.

Greg

Larry Fox
11-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Very nice shop. Looks to be very well setup and a nice place to spend some time.

Derek Stevens
11-27-2008, 2:15 PM
Thanks John, with a little direction as to where to post past projects, I would be happy to post some stuff I've come up with. The bike shelf is one part in a themed office.. the bike rim shelf, a wooden sculpted bike frame and forks for desk legs ( still in the process) stuff like that.

John Keeton
11-27-2008, 5:40 PM
Derek, post in the Woodworking Projects forum, but do a separate thread for each project. That way viewers can choose those that may be of interest - or all of them! Looking forward to seeing the threads.

Duane McGuire
11-27-2008, 8:46 PM
Great pictures. Thanks for posting. Gives me some ideas!

Derek Stevens
11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Here are a few more shots. A creative mind is seldom tidy...102160