PDA

View Full Version : Leather strop

Philip Florio
11-26-2008, 7:40 PM
I was sharpening my chisels today with my Worksharp 3000. I then followed up with a strop. I'm using a polishing compound and I'm wondering how I can clean the leather.

Also is it correct to add the compound right to the leather and this might sound like a stupid question but do you use the smooth side or the other side?

Thanks,
Phil

Michael Faurot
11-26-2008, 8:49 PM
I then followed up with a strop. I'm using a polishing compound and I'm wondering how I can clean the leather.

Assuming we're just talking about how the leather gets discolored, after stropping a tool on it--there's no need to clean that up. If you're talking about using one type of honing compound, and then a different type with a different abrasive property, you'll want to make a separate strop for each type of compound. Myself--I only use the green stuff like Lee Valley sells.

Also is it correct to add the compound right to the leather . . .
Yes, just rub it in there.

. . .do you use the smooth side or the other side?
I've used the smooth side on my strops. I've seen others use the rough side. I think the rough side might hold the honding compound in better. I like the smooth side as I think it helps polish and put a finer edge on a blade--but that's just my subjective feeling.

Gary Curtis
11-27-2008, 2:09 PM
The smooth side. It consumes much less of the expensive compound and presents a more uniform application of the abrasive to the tool.

Gary Curtis