PDA

View Full Version : INCA Tablesaw Specs ???

Gary Curtis
11-26-2008, 6:14 PM
Two slightly used Inca 12" saws were offered to me. Anyone know about this equipment made in Switzerland? Specific questions included:

a) Do I want the cast iron top or cast aluminum top?

b) Is the 3hp motor adequate driving a 12" blade?

Any other factors important with INCA equipment? Both saw had only light use by hobbyists.

This saw is replacing a new General (Canada) 350 with a 5hp motor,.

Jim Becker
11-26-2008, 6:20 PM
Inca is very high quality. The major issue will be getting parts if you need them. Garrett Wade used to import them, but stopped a few years back. I thought someone else was at least in the parts arena (Eagle???) but I'm not sure of that. I've only seen the band saws (my cabinetmaker/artist neighbor has one) and the J/P, but was impressed with both.

Kevin Adams
11-26-2008, 7:37 PM
Gary--

In its day, the Inca 2100/2200 was perhaps the best standard cabinet saw in the business in terms of design, fit and finish, safety, and quality. I say "in its day" not because of any shortcomings with the Inca, but because the cabinet saw market has come a long way over the last several years.

I have owned several Inca machines for many years, but never this saw. Parts are most likely still available with Eagle Tools in CA (although this saw is so well built, not sure what you would ever need except a plastic knob or something). I prefer the cast aluminum top only because you never have to worry about rust, but the cast iron would be fine as well. You really don't need to worry about not having enough mass with the cast aluminum as this saw is so smooth and well balanced it doesn't matter. You may want to check on the miter saw slot, however, as I'm not sure the aluminum top had a standard slot. You would also have to consider not being able to use magnetized hold-downs with the aluminum.

I would encourage you to ask your questions over at the Yahoo message board as you'll get some great advice there.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incawoodworking/

It's a fantastic saw (and yes, plenty of power) and as much as I like Inca machinery, you have a first rate saw already...the General 350 with 5HP. Not sure I'd make that switch myself...

Kevin

Daniel Thompson
11-26-2008, 8:42 PM
I own an Inca 2100 with the cast iron top. The saw has plenty of power in my experience. Be aware that the miter bar slot is not the standard .75 x .375 size found on most cabinet saws (at least on the 2100, the 2200 might be different). My saw has a standard 1 inch arbor size. I would venture to say that there are few saws on the market that offer the ease and precision of adjustments offered by the Inca. I've owned my saw for many years and have never had to replace any parts. If I had a need, Eagle Tools would be my first choice of sources. I can't think of any other cabinet saw I would rather own. A high end Felder or Martin slider would be a reasonable upgrade though.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. The saw has way to many features and advantages to describe here.

Phil Thien
11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I own an Inca 2100 with the cast iron top. The saw has plenty of power in my experience. Be aware that the miter bar slot is not the standard .75 x .375 size found on most cabinet saws (at least on the 2100, the 2200 might be different). My saw has a standard 1 inch arbor size. I would venture to say that there are few saws on the market that offer the ease and precision of adjustments offered by the Inca. I've owned my saw for many years and have never had to replace any parts. If I had a need, Eagle Tools would be my first choice of sources. I can't think of any other cabinet saw I would rather own. A high end Felder or Martin slider would be a reasonable upgrade though.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. The saw has way to many features and advantages to describe here.

I thought the 2100 was an aluminum top, and the 2200 was a cast iron top?

Gary Curtis
11-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your input. To make an impending house move easier, I sold my year-old General 350 with a 5hp motor and sliding table. Too big, too much saw for my needs, and i got my money back.

The miter-slot size doesn't concern me much. And I know about Eagle Tools. I bought most of my shop equip. from them. I'm not sure about the arbor size, but I can deal with that. And it just dawned on me that I can always run a 10" blade if I want.

Good news about the power. And also about the cast aluminum top. I wish these were coming with a riving knife. The steel top model is the only one with the dust collecting blade guard. I guess I can always buy a Shark Guard.

I won't need this until I buy a new home near the Calif Coast. Presently live in a mountain town near the Oregon border. The owner will store the saw as long as I need.

Thanks again for your input. I feel very American about this, because I am "sizing down". Aren't we all!

Gary

Daniel Thompson
11-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Mine has a riving knife. It actually came with two different thickness knives to accomodate different blades.

Kevin Adams
11-27-2008, 6:49 PM
Gary, you should talk to Jesse at Eagle as there's probably a good chance he may have a blade guard and riving knife. As Daniel said, they came with them and they really deserve to be on this saw (Inca was known as safety minded, at least after they stopped making the tilting table model, which is the saw I have!).

You'll love the saw, whenever you get it in your new shop.

Kevin

Frank Tennick
04-22-2009, 2:48 PM
Dear fellow woodworkers,

I purchased an Inca combination saw table with planer & thicknesser plus the band saw in the early 1980's from a shop in Bulawayo, Rhodesia now known as Zimbabwe.
I have tried to find the agents in South Africa for Inca where I now reside but have had no luck. Nobody seems to know who, if anyone acted as agents for Inca in southern Africa. Cochranes were the agent in Salisbury in the early 1980's - but they no longer exist!
My search of wood working forums on the internet suggests that these machines are still working & popular in the States.
Please could you advise who I could contact for spares and/or attachments for either of machines I have in my possession.

With regards
Frank Tennick

Frank Drew
04-22-2009, 4:12 PM
For those who own or have used these table saws, do they have tilting arbors or tilting tables? If the latter, is that an inconvenience?

Gary Curtis
04-22-2009, 6:19 PM
More than 20 years ago, Inca specifically manufactured a tablesaw designed for the American market. It was a tad more robust than the Euro models.
Larger, bigger blade, larger motor. The two models were the 2100 and 2200. The 2100 had the cast alloy top. The 2200 was cast steel. Some safety devices employing magnets won't work on the alloy top. And it scratches, which bothers some folks. Both models feature left-tilting arbors.

The tilting top model was sold here but designed for the Euro market. I don't know much about it.

Two North American companies represented the line, but Garret Wade has gone out of business. Eagle Tools in Los Angeles was the other company, and they continue to stock some parts and are an excellent source of info. Their telephone has a 323 area code prefix. The website, a modest one, can be found at www.eagle-tools.com

A surprising number of used machines, parts and accessories show up, especially on Craigslist.org. And sometimes on eBay.

Good luck,

Gary Curtis

Gary Curtis
04-22-2009, 6:22 PM
there is a useful, and lively discussion of Inca machinery to be found on the Yahoo Groups forum called INCAwoodworking.

Including items for sale. Yahoo Groups only requires you registering.

Gary Curtis

Phil Thien
04-22-2009, 8:49 PM
Garret Wade has gone out of business.

Actually, they are still in business but they sold all their spares to Eagle. To the best of my knowledge, Inca was sold by GW, Lee Valley, and Eagle, as well as numerous other "affiliates" that I believe were fed by GW east of the Mississippi, and Eagle to the west.

Parts can be had from Eagle, and you can also visit www.incamachines.com (http://www.incamachines.com) and shoot them an E-Mail. That site is run by the factory (Multico Sarl, I believe) in France. They are very nice to deal with, though they don't have parts for very old machines.

Frank Drew
04-23-2009, 4:51 PM
Gary, Phil,

Thanks for the information.

Frank Tennick
04-26-2009, 7:28 AM
Thanks for your input - has been most helpful
Kind regards
Frank Tennick