PDA

View Full Version : on the 8th day Gord created light, well sorta PICS

Gord Graff
06-06-2004, 7:31 AM
Hello All,

There was no way that my wife was going to let me off the hook with just making a couple of Mission end tables and a coffee table, she wanted more, my answer to her was a pair of Mission table lamps. I called Peter and asked if he could spare a few more of the boards he had so graciously donated to the Mission coffee and end table cause, he gladly agreed.

For anyone who hasn’t read the story behind the history of this white oak, I’ve provided a link to the original story…………………it’s a good read about a couple of dedicated woodworkers that refused to give up on a material that was deemed useless. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9347

The table lamps are 26” tall and have handmade silk shades. The corbels on the lamps are a shortened version of the ones on the tables, stain and finish is also the same as on the original tables. The column of the lamp started life as a laminated 3”X3” post and was tapered on the table saw on all four sides from a 3” square base to a 2” square top. The two cross sections of the base are joined with a half lap joint and the total footprint of the base is 12”X12”.

Hopefully this will keep the wife happy for awhile……………..not likely.

All the best
Gord

Jim Guy
06-06-2004, 7:55 AM
Gord,both are beautiful. Last night my wife was sitting beside me as I read a few posts here on WC. I'm sure glad you waited until this morning to post these pics. If she saw what you've done there would be not down time for me ever. Once again, "Very Nice"

Todd Burch
06-06-2004, 8:55 AM
Nice job Gord! They go well with the tables you made.

And about keeping a wife happy - I can hear it now... in two weeks... "I know you made the tables and the lamps Gordy-poo, but what have you done for me LATE-LY?"

Gord Graff
06-06-2004, 9:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your kind words, glad you like them.

By the way Todd now that I've got your attention, I love the ceiling you did, great work.

As far as "Gordy poo" is concerned, I told my wife "don't think for one minute you're getting anything else…………………soon”.

All the best
Gordy poo

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Gord.....I like the design and the craftsmanship! :)

Bob Marino
06-06-2004, 1:11 PM
Very nice compliment to the tables. Great job all around. I have never heard of that brand of stain before, is it a local brand?

Bob

Tyler Howell
06-06-2004, 1:18 PM
Gord,
I don't want to alarm you but you have a theme going here!
And it looks great. Very nice.;)
TJH

Gord Graff
06-06-2004, 1:50 PM
I have never heard of that brand of stain before, is it a local brand?

Bob

Hi Bob,

The stain is from a Canadian manufacturer (Goudey), I'm not aware if they have a distributor in the States but I'll try and find out. It’s a great color, pictures don’t do it justice.

All the best
Gord