PDA

View Full Version : face gluing stability

Martin Rock
11-26-2008, 1:25 PM
Hi

I am in the process of choosing the boards for my current chest of drawers project and I have some questions about face gluing stability. I have done face lamination before when I only had 4/4 lumber. Like face gluing 3/4 boards to make legs, bench stretchers, sawbench saddle and never got stability problem but in these cases the pieces where assemble shortly after.

I am a little worried about the stability of thinner boards face laminated to be used for furniture top or frame panels.

Can one face glue two 3/8 thick boards to make a 3/4 inch thick boards that could afterward be used for making a laminated top. If so, that would permit me to have bookmatched patterns and save nice figured wood for the top layer only.

I would also like to know if the boards needs to be the same thickness or could one face glue a 1/2 board with a 1/4 board (or even two 1/4 boards for frame panels)?

Finally does the end ring orientation matters?

I know I could do veneering but would prefer not to if possible

thanks

Martin

Jim Becker
11-26-2008, 3:51 PM
If you are gluing on the same species with the same grain orientation/direction, you should be fine.

IMHO, the old "end ring" orientation is a non issue if the project is built with wood movement in mind.