PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest

Eugene Wigley
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to turning and need help/info on what type of steady rest would work for bowls and end grain pieces. I would like to be able to use the same steady rest on both if possible. I am having trouble with a piece that is 14" long and 7" in diameter. The wood is green. I do not know if there is a single rest that will work for say a 20" bowl and still work on a 7" end grain piece. Any sugestions/experience will be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Quinn McCarthy
11-26-2008, 4:33 PM
There are quite a few bowl steady rests available. Oneway makes one that gets good reviews. There have been a few posts in the past if you do some searching on making your own steady rest. Most people use MDF or plywood laminated together and cut like an annulus with something on the bottom to attach to the ways of the lathe. Then they mount roller blade wheels on wood or metal bars. There are either 3 or 4 wheels per rest. The wheel mounting pieces are adjustable in and out usually with a bolt through them so that the wheel rides on the work piece. You will have to take a look at your lathe to determine the location of the wheels so they don't get in your way when you work. I have been trying to find some time to build one myself.

I hope that helps.

Quinn

Richard Madison
11-26-2008, 8:43 PM
A sufficiently massive and rigid steady rest might be ok for 20" and 7" diameter pieces. The one I built for ~16" diameter work (welded steel angle) is ok for the larger stuff, but the "arms" are a bit too thin and flexible when extended for use on small diameter work. Intend to build a smaller frame (to use the same arms and wheels) for pieces about 8" diameter and less.