PDA

View Full Version : Engraving IPOD shuffle

Scott duprat
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Hello all,

This is an engraving question, although not laser engraving. I am a technology teacher at a high school in NH. I have been asked to engrave the backs of 20 IPOD shuffles with school initials and a number. We do not have a laser to engrave but I do have CNC machining center to do this. I have engaved door plaques and assorted other items with a flat cuttter as well as conical cutter...my question, is this doable on a shuffle, and if so, what depth might I want to do this at? Anyone with experience with this type of object?

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Dave Johnson29
11-26-2008, 1:00 PM
I have engaved door plaques and assorted other items with a flat cuttter as well as conical cutter...my question, is this doable on a shuffle, and if so, what depth might I want to do this at? Anyone with experience with this type of object?

Hi Scott,

Yes it is doable but you will need a conical cutter with a flat bottom. Go to www.msc-direct.com (http://www.msc-direct.com) and search on "engraving cutter" you will also need at least 20,000rpm otherwise the cutter will just moosh a groove in the plastic. Depth of around 0.010" to 0.015".

My $0.02 worth, this job would be far easier done with a laser at a local engraver.