PDA

View Full Version : used bowl coring tool

Duff Bement
11-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Do bowl coring tool sets ever come up? I would like to try one but the $250+ price tag scares me. I don't know if I would use it enough to get my money back or even like turning that way. Any opinions on waiting for a used one or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?
Duff

Nathan Hawkes
11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Well, I'm no expert with corers, but I do own a McNaughton set--the "regular" one, with four knives, I think. Like yourself, I searched for a while for used ones on ebay and various woodworking sites. I did find one, but was beaten to the punch by someone else. My limited experience with searching tells me people aren't getting rid of their coring devices very often. That said, it will more than pay for itself quite rapidly if you do a lot of turning, or a little more slowly if you don't do a lot of turning.

I've cored dozens of bowls, perhaps 60-80, many of which will probably sit as rough cores for months and/or years before I turn all of them. I find that even shallow blanks can yield a small plate sized core. That said, there is definitely a learning curve assosciated with using a coring device of any sort; the OneWay and Woodcut tools are pretty forgiving, (I haven't used one, but I'm going off what people tell me), but they are pretty limited in the shape of the blank that they can remove. The McNaughton knives are a bit challenging to use, but well worth the effort!!!!!!!! I've gone through the bottom of 6-8 bowls altogether, three of which were in the first session alone. You get the hang of it pretty quickly, and after a while tend to err on the side of caution when removing a deep core. I bought a laser guide from a friend (thanks, Hilel!) which works well at letting you know exactly where the point is, but if you're careful and don't rush like I often do, you should be alright. I've even cored natural edge bowls, but this was full of some pretty spectacular catches and ended up with me using a parting tool to get past the "wings" first. Even if you're not going to be production turning, a coring set will speed up your roughing dramatically. Just be careful you don't get too deep, and do your homework with reading the directions and other people's suggestions. I don't own the DVD, but I'm a pretty stubborn learner sometimes.
So I guess what I'm saying is, BUY IT!!!

Malcolm Tibbetts
11-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I've never cored a single bowl, but I recently corresponded with a turner in Denmark who had purchased my DVDs. He shared with me his own video efforts posted here on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Yst1qXpc (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Yst1qXpc)

I don't know the brand of coring device, but he sure makes it look easy. This is also a new technique to me for havesting segmented bowls.

Reed Gray
11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Well, I am impressed. I would venture that it is home made. I like how he put the support bar of the same radius of the coring blade under the cutter rather than the finger that Oneway uses so you don't have to turn off the lathe to advance it, and it cups the core nicely after it is cut off. If he isn't making it for sale, he should be.

Coring devices do save wood, and if you are a production bowl turner, you have to have one because it saves time as well. If you sell your bowls, it takes about 2 cored sets of bowls to pay for the tool. It is also nice if you have a really special piece of wood, and you want to use every single bit.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2008, 1:35 PM
Wow - that was a cool video! Quite the system he has!

I checked into coring systems a couple of times now but could never justify the price. Reed - you bring up a valid point about the additional bowls being able to pay for the system. I usually think out-of-pocket vs will it pay for itself! Should start thinking about a coring system cause I sure go through some wood!

George Guadiane
11-26-2008, 1:54 PM
A good friend fell on tough times and sold off some of his good "toys.".. I bought some steady rest stuff, and his Oneway coring system. I saved a few bucks and helped out a friend (wish he hadn't needed it)...
I have not gotten it on the lathe yet, but MOST of it was new in the box, so I kinda can't wait... OK, I REALLY can't wait, just have to get over this cold.

I always use the "how much will it make me" mindset. It's also a great argument in favor if you are "discussing" such a purchase with your significant other.:rolleyes::D

George Morris
11-26-2008, 2:11 PM
Malcolm thanks for that u tube vidio that makes coring look very easy! He did a fine job on the segment bowls. George

Ron McKinley
11-26-2008, 3:17 PM
That's really slick! I've never cored a bowl either but his coring device doesn't look like anything I've seen in any of the catalogs....Ron

Dahl Troy Perry
11-26-2008, 4:50 PM
Looks like I need to get to work and make one of those ! I'm a kind of neet tool got to have kind of guy. Made 4 tools today at work need to make the handles now going to the shop to glue up wood tonight to turn Thur. got to stay out of the kitchen or will be put to work( shop or kitchen) yep shop won.

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2008, 9:13 PM
Duff I have the Oneway system with 3 knives. I didn't get the biggest one because I didn't see doing bowls bigger than 16" since that is the max size of my lathe. I like the Oneway because to me it was the easiest to use. Like Reed said don't look at the expense but look at what the extra bowls will bring you. I cored some Elm the other day and got 3 bowls. Instead of making $45 on just one big bowl (14") I made $35 on the next smaller one (11") and $25 on the smallest which was 8". I told her if she bought all 3 I would give them to her for $100. So coring the bowl blank I made a extra $55 instead of just getting one bowl with a bunch of chips at my feet.

Jim Becker
11-26-2008, 9:28 PM
Every once in a blue moon someone will sell off a coring system, but it's not often. (Similar to a premium lathe coming on the used market)

Do note that you'll want a bit of power for coring so be sure you have a lathe that can handle the work before you invest in a coring system.

Hilel Salomon
11-27-2008, 2:51 PM
Hi,
I'm absolutely a fanatic about coring bowls and have two each of the McNaughton and Oneway systems in VA and SC. In addition to what Bernie said about tripling your income (I'm not good enough to sell them) here are some of the other advantages:
You have substantially fewer chips and shavings to clean up;
You have a sense of less waste;
W/the Oneway you have a built in form maker for really rounded bowls.

The reason that I'm not looking to sell any of the sets (I have a full range of cutting knives for each of them) is that they (the McNaughton and Oneway)
each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I often use both on one large blank.
Nested bowls are fabulous.
Regards, Hilel.

charlie knighton
11-27-2008, 3:55 PM
Duff, go to (AAW Forums, main forum area)

look for a post from Angelo

Bernie Weishapl
11-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Duff, go to (AAW Forums, main forum area)

look for a post from Angelo

Charlie I think he said it was for a 24" swing lathe. Depends on what size lathe Duff has. I saw his post.

Duff Bement
11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Alright guys - I am no farther ahead now than when I asked in the first place. Everyone has an opinion and thinks one is either better, faster, easier, cheaper, safer, more versatile, you get the picture. oh well i guess i will take all the info and try to sort it out. I do appreciate the information.
Thanks, Duff

Reed Gray
11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Duff,
If you search this forum, I have compared the 3 systems a couple of times. They all work, and they all have strong and weak points.

Bernie,
I had to read your last post several times to make sure I didn't misread it. You really don't charge enough for your bowls, unless that was a friend. 14 inch bowl for me, $100 to $200 plus, depending on the wood.

robo hippy

Duff Bement
11-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Well I did it !! I ordered my McNaughton system today from Craft Supply along with other stuff I didn't even know I needed until My saw the sale flyer. I just wanted to say Thank You to all of you for your posts. I will give you guys my opinion in a few weeks, or longer if I am slow learner. Wish me luck.

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Duff,
If you search this forum, I have compared the 3 systems a couple of times. They all work, and they all have strong and weak points.

Bernie,
I had to read your last post several times to make sure I didn't misread it. You really don't charge enough for your bowls, unless that was a friend. 14 inch bowl for me, $100 to $200 plus, depending on the wood.

robo hippy

Reed I wish I could charge that much for bowls out here. In this case she was a close family friend. I had a 12 1/2" cherry bowl I had $90 on for 1 1/2 yrs and it just sat in the store. I dropped it to $60 and it sold within a month.

Benjamin Dahl
12-01-2008, 3:06 AM
Duff, I look forward to hearing what you think about the new system.
Ben

Rasmus Petersen
03-01-2009, 8:56 AM
i know this is an old post, but i was looking through post regarding coring tools and came upon this one... the set Henning Vester is using i danish build and designed, same as the green lathe. It´s a maker called PROMAT he makes all kinds of nice accesories..

site is in danish if anyone needs translating let me know...

http://www.sitecenter.dk/promat/

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 9:21 AM
I have the Woodcut bowl saver and its great but the gripe I have with it is its largest capacity is just a bit smaller than what I would like. About 11.5" is going to be the largest you can do. So I have been roughing to 15.5" coring an 11" and a 7-8". This leaves my largest bowl a little think so I make a couple of passes with the gouge and it works out fine, just an extra step involved thats all.

Rasmus Petersen
03-01-2009, 9:23 AM
thanks... well i have just the tool and no idea how to set it up, but will hopefully get to i in the week to come...

Reed Gray
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Rasmus,
I am computer impared, and couldn't find a coring tool on the site. I did see a U Tube link on the UKW forums, and the tool looked similar to a Oneway coring system. Ingenious design. Which link shows the coring tool.
robo hippy

Tom Lewis
03-01-2009, 1:56 PM
Rasmus, I for one would like a translation of the site, especially the part about the bowl core tool.

Mike Hunter
03-01-2009, 6:45 PM
To turn this posting ... why not rebuild the used coring systems. I have had preliminary success in rebuilding the existing coring systems. If any one has some used, worn out tools, please send me an email. This is not intended to be a commercial, it is an R&D project to explore ... I would like to find 3 or 4 users who use these tools and to find out if there is an opportunity to re-build these tools.

Mike Hunter
612-718-7926 (mike@hunterwoodturningtool.com)
www.hunterwoodturningtool.com (http://www.hunterwoodturningtool.com/)

Thomas Bennett
03-01-2009, 8:05 PM
I love the bandsaw in the background!

Rasmus Petersen
03-02-2009, 1:05 AM
well i just went over the page and can see that there are no photos of the coring system on the makers page (but browse and check the other stuff he makes) Michael dose all kinds of tools and lathes.

i have written him and i guess when he gets around to it he will send me something to translate and upload for you guys...

This photo shows the Coring tool (Buet Stikstål in danish) translates into something like arched/curved parting tool.

The bandsaw is also a danish make Junget bandsaw. for every 100 bandsaws (the larger ones) ind denmark i would guess that 90% are danish build junget, and the range from small to MAXI bandsaws.. the one Henning has in the video is around average to large... the make them BIG... kaj my brother has one of the bigger ones.. they move it with a forklift and crane when the move... its around 2,5 meteres in hight...

Dick Strauss
03-02-2009, 2:19 PM
Here's a rough translation of the Danish site via google...

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sitecenter.dk%2Fproma t%2F&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

One DKK or Kroner is equal to about $0.17 US.

I still didn't see the coring tool show above...?

Scott Conners
03-02-2009, 3:00 PM
Here's the page of the coring system, each radius is a separate price. http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sitecenter.dk%2Fproma t%2F&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Wyatt Holm
03-02-2009, 4:20 PM
To turn this posting ... why not rebuild the used coring systems. I have had preliminary success in rebuilding the existing coring systems. If any one has some used, worn out tools, please send me an email. This is not intended to be a commercial, it is an R&D project to explore ... I would like to find 3 or 4 users who use these tools and to find out if there is an opportunity to re-build these tools.

Mike Hunter
612-718-7926 (mike@hunterwoodturningtool.com)
www.hunterwoodturningtool.com (http://www.hunterwoodturningtool.com/)
I have got similar ideas,
you could send me and email also if you have worn out blades.
turner.wyatt@gmail.com

Dick Strauss
03-02-2009, 4:25 PM
Bend a radius to match the original cutter blade and weld in diagonally. Voila...

Rasmus Petersen
03-18-2009, 3:47 AM
if there are anyboby out there that might have intereste in the system i would be abel to deal direct with the maker (he lives 10 kilometers from me)
and might be able to get at creeker discount...

Dave Bureau
03-18-2009, 8:06 AM
if there are anyboby out there that might have intereste in the system i would be abel to deal direct with the maker (he lives 10 kilometers from me)
and might be able to get at creeker discount...

What kind of money are we talking here?

Rasmus Petersen
03-18-2009, 8:17 AM
im not shure but the set with post handel and 4 knives are around 540 $ + some shipping.. but im not shure about insurance when selling to the US....

shipping just took a look at it maby 70$ but have to get exact weight and size to be shure.

James Gillespie, Jr.
03-18-2009, 2:13 PM
Looks like a very nice setup. Now if I only had a spare $600 laying around...

Rasmus Petersen
03-19-2009, 1:21 AM
i know the feeling ... but mine would be for a trend/purelite mask firstly...