PDA

View Full Version : All I want for Christmas .......

Hal Taft
11-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Not my two front teeth, but a back molar. Not only did I miss the Oneway Talon chuck sale, but my computer caught a nasty social disease, keeping me off the internet for a while. Between the two, I've spent all the money and more that would have put me in the Talon and vacuum chuck business. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to prehistoric tried and true woodturning, at least till my birthday !

While hearing about vacuum pumps, I've seen many different types of pump for sale on EBAY and other places, does anyone know the difference between them, and how suitable they might be for vacuum chucking ? Diaphagm, double piston, regenair, oilless rotary vane, etc., will they all work if they pull the right amount of vacuum, or are some types unsuitable ? Can a pump used for liquids be used, and does it need to be altered to do so ? Any personal experience or technical knowledge would be appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm collecting parts.

Hal

Doug Rogers
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Hal,

You might want to look into Sunbelt's Vipre anti virus. Free Trial, it's cheap, and it works. No affliiation just happy customer.

Doug

George Guadiane
11-26-2008, 2:10 PM
Not my two front teeth, but a back molar. Not only did I miss the Oneway Talon chuck sale, but my computer caught a nasty social disease, keeping me off the internet for a while. Between the two, I've spent all the money and more that would have put me in the Talon and vacuum chuck business. Oh well, I guess I'll go back to prehistoric tried and true woodturning, at least till my birthday !

While hearing about vacuum pumps, I've seen many different types of pump for sale on EBAY and other places, does anyone know the difference between them, and how suitable they might be for vacuum chucking ? Diaphagm, double piston, regenair, oilless rotary vane, etc., will they all work if they pull the right amount of vacuum, or are some types unsuitable ? Can a pump used for liquids be used, and does it need to be altered to do so ? Any personal experience or technical knowledge would be appreciated. Meanwhile, I'm collecting parts.

Hal
I missed the sale, AND accidentally reformatted my computer (don't ask)...
BUT, today IS my birthday, SOOOoooo...
Can't help too much on the vacuum stuff, but I don't think that liquid pumps will do what you want.
I'm off to buy a Monster hollowing rig (Happy Birthday To Me).:D

Hal Taft
11-26-2008, 4:19 PM
Happy birthday, George !!!
Go tear up some wood !

Hal

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2008, 9:15 PM
Happy Birthday George.