PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Spurtle

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
My wife came home the other night and asked if I could make her a Spurtle. Sure… poof, you’re a Spurtle! ……… absolute silence………..

“No, really, I want you to turn one for a lady at the knitting club.” OK, no problem.

Cherry Spurtle (Scottish style stirring stick), 11” long x 7/8” diameter at the thickest areas, a few burned in detail lines, sanded to 400 grit and has mineral oil for a finish.

This is a great project for those who like to use the skew or just want the practice!

As always, your comments, critiques and/or opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

John Timberlake
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM
Great project. Maybe some of my Highland re-enacting friends would like one. I'll have to give it a try.

Jim Becker
11-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Really nice piece and the piece of cherry you used was just perfect for the job.

Reed Gray
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Traditional type has a thistle type detail on the handle end, but they can be done any style. The funny thing about them is that they do sell. As far as the thistle, it is on the Scottish emblem because Norway was invading, or trying to reclaim parts of Scotland, and during a night sneak attack, the soldiers were ordered to remove their boots to keep from making noise and giving away the attack. Some one stepped on a thistle, and let out a yelp, and the Scotts were alerted. Saved the day for them. It makes a nice story about the tool.
robo hippy

Toney Robertson
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Steve,

Good looking spurtle.

Now there is a statement I never thought I would say! As a matter or fact I never had heard of a spurtle before.

Learn something new every day.

Toney

Don Carter
11-26-2008, 3:42 PM
Steve:
Beautiful spurtle, and beautiful workmanship! The wood is perfect for this.

Robo:
I wear a chain with a little gold thistle from Scotland, a celtic cross from Ireland and a three lions medallion from England. American born but from many peoples.

All the best.

Don

Richard Madison
11-26-2008, 8:53 PM
Me too Toney. Just when you think you know everything you need to know, somebody springs a spurtle on you. Looks like a nice one, but how would I know?

Bernie Weishapl
11-26-2008, 9:01 PM
Never heard of one either but it sure is a beauty Steve. Looks great as does the cherry.

Curt Fuller
11-26-2008, 9:35 PM
One of the best spurtles I've ever seen!

Actually I'd never heard of a spurtle either. But after seeing yours I googled it and found out a lot of interesting information. I also enjoyed the story behind the thistle in Scottish lore.

Clara Koss
11-26-2008, 9:50 PM
cool... now i know what a spurtle is... but my husband doesn't so when i call him a spurtle if he does something wrong he'll wonder what he is!!!!:D

Dave Halter
11-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Nice looking piece. I have a turning book that shows examples of spurtles, but never explained what they were. Now that I know I will have to make a few.

Tom Wilson66
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Good looking spurtle, Steve. I use mine quite a bit when cooking, makes a great stir stick.:D

Norm Zax
11-27-2008, 2:58 AM
Nicely done indeed and now to Fluid Dynamics:
No offense to any scotsman but why use a round aerodynamic shape to stir liquids? They just part and flow around it. Even a squared end would be more effective. Looks more like a hidden weapon, like those the japanese invented in Ikinawa when they were banned from carrying various pointy metal devices. Something like: the vikings are invading! Pick up your kitchen utensils and follow me!
...again, no offense made.

John Abt
11-27-2008, 7:14 AM
Norm,

You're right when you say that a spurtle is not the most efficient tool for mixing ingredients but, a spurtle is usually used for porridge or oatmeal. It's not so much for mixing, but to keep the mixture smooth and to prevent clumping.

John

Jeff Nicol
11-27-2008, 8:42 AM
In one of the Raffan videos I have he turns a spurtle and It is cool to hear his voice while he is doing the piece. He says it goes back to his scottish heritage and with his down under accent ( a little brogue underlying ) it takes you back to the Scotland. I love wood utinsils for the kitchen no matter what they are for!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

Jeff

robert hainstock
11-27-2008, 9:42 AM
I asked the wife about the "Spurtle", and she being a hardcore knitter, (her version of the vortex) knew all about it, says they are all the "thing" right now. She still uses a wooden spoon, says it works better.
I bet you could sell a bunch of them right now though. Looks like a short billy club. Your usual nice work. :):)
Bob

John Terefenko
11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
OK interest is piqued. Has anyone got a good site to show other examples of them and maybe the story behind them??? I am guessing they would have to be made from wood that can take liquids well and how do you finish them??? Boy you get an education here. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
John, just do a Google on 'Spurtle' and you'll get the history. I chose cherry for the wood cause I like the way it turns darker with age. I would think you could use any close grain wood. For a finish I used mineral oil as it is easy for anyone to renew as needed.

Mark Hix
11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow----Art, Turning Tips and now History all in the same place! I love this site!

It looks like another "must turn for the wife to keep the turning budget lubricated project" for me.

Eugene Wigley
11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Steve, that's a nice piece of work with nice detail. I have always liked wooden kitchen utensils. Now that I am learning to turn wood I like them even more. Thanks for posting it.

Allen Neighbors
11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Very nicely done, Steve, and thanks for posting the dimensions, too. Just what I've needed. Thanks for posting. Gotta make a few of these!

Skip Spaulding
11-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Good looking spurtle Steve. You may want to include a disclaimer just incase she turns it on her husband . Here in VT we would call that a real fancy club! Only Kidding!

Hamish Jones
11-27-2008, 6:00 PM
Nicely done indeed and now to Fluid Dynamics:
No offense to any scotsman but why use a round aerodynamic shape to stir liquids? They just part and flow around it. Even a squared end would be more effective. Looks more like a hidden weapon, like those the japanese invented in Ikinawa when they were banned from carrying various pointy metal devices. Something like: the vikings are invading! Pick up your kitchen utensils and follow me!
...again, no offense made.

Here in Scotland, spurtles are used for stirring porrige, much better and more efficient than a spoon, or other tool

Jim Kountz
11-27-2008, 8:19 PM
New one on me but a great job turning it. Spurtle huh? Who knew!

Jon McCoy
11-29-2008, 7:54 PM
Nicely done spurtle -- I'm seeing these all over recently, including Martha Stewart and Sunset magazines. I think the rounded tip keeps from scraping up any burned-on oatmeal. Along with a $5 tin of McCann's, should make a great gift.

I get a lot of project ideas from the wife's knitting/spinning/weaving group. First it was some nostepinnes for winding yarn, then handles for ball winders. Yarn gauges, spinning wheel orifice hooks, sock darners, etc.

Chris Barnett
11-29-2008, 9:00 PM
I just knew the day would not pass without learning a new name for a little stick with rings around it, used for cooking,....primarily by the Scottish folk...kept on the coffee table by those folk....as a point of conversation...whilst consuming 12 year malt ...I presume. Oh, and nice spurtle...