PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

Greg McCallister
11-26-2008, 6:26 AM
Hopefully this will be my last question concerning finishing. (yea right, your thinking - I would too :D)

I have my Target Coating USL coming in Monday.
I have some more finishing on the cabinet I am working on, however I have sprayed it with Minwax polycrylic.
Question...
Can I apply the USL directly over the polycrylic? Has anyone ever done this?
I am not sure if I have enough polycrylic to finish the cabinet and would hate to buy more when I have USL right around the corner.

glenn bradley
11-26-2008, 7:38 AM
Perhaps someone here has done it that could answer but I would post that question directly to Target Coatings. They have always been very responsive to me.

Stephen Bunch
11-26-2008, 9:52 AM
contacting target is great advice.

just my opinion: i would sand the polycrylic back as much as i could. i haven't found polycrylic to have as good adhesion as the pro level WB finishes.

Greg McCallister
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Went to target coatings as recommended and this is the reply from Jeff Weiss (President of the company - wow! Now that is great service)

"Give the polycrylic a light sanding with 400-grit, wipe down with water/denatured alcohol cut 50:50 ( or just plain water) and apply the USL. Ensure that you apply a minimum of 2 coats of USL to ensure that that the sheen adjusts to the set level (first coat will burn into the Minwax and the fine sanding scratch pattern)."

JW