PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper compatibility

Jim Kountz
11-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know if woodcrafts bottle stopper mandrel will work Penn State stoppers and vice versa?? Woodcrafts kit requires a 6mm pilot hole, is this the same with Penn State??

Thanks!

Jim

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Not sure about those Jim. I would say no Jim because the bottle stoppers at PSI say drill a hole 23/64" and the the mandrel at woodcraft says 6 mm hole. that would mean a 23/64" hole is 9.1281 mm. I get my kits from Arizona Silhouette. I got his MT #2 morse taper which is 3/8" X 16 tpi tap which I have and a 5/16" bit. You can get bushings for the smaller bottle stopper and a bushing for the larger ones. I turn mostly the larger ones.

Dave Halter
11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I have the Rockler (also uses a 6mm pilot hole), a PSI mandrel, and one I that I think came from Craft Supply. The PSI and Craft Supply use a larger hole than the Rockler/Woodcraft type. I quit using the Rockler/Woodcraft type stopper because I didn't like the looks. If you're wanting to start turning bottle stoppers check out Ruth Niles stainless steel stoppers (link below). She also now sells a mandrel that is compatible with the larger pilot holes. The chrome stoppers will eventually fail if used in wine due to the acids, but that is not an issue with the stainless steel. I've used Ruth's stoppers and really like them They don't stick up from the top of the bottle like some of the other brands. Lastly, even though some of the different brands use the same size pilot hole they do not all have the same size base. In other words the sizing ring on the mandrel is different to match that specific brand of stopper.

Dave

http://www.torne-lignum.com/index.html

Don Carter
11-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Jim:
I have made stoppers from many of the companies mentioned here. I have always made my own mandrels to fit the kits. I use a bolt that fits and cut the head off. I thread on a nut to the end and then put on a washer that fits the base of the stopper kit. I hold the bolt in a collet chuck I bought from PSI.

I really like the silicon stoppers with dowels. They are inexpensive and make good gifts and they sell well. I make the more expensive stoppers like Ruth's for special occasions or for special people.;)
All the best.

Don

Dahl Troy Perry
11-26-2008, 8:16 PM
Don where do you find the silicon stoppers with dowels looking for cheep presents for a group that I make for that my wife gives. Don't know why my wife gives to her friends and I have to make the stuff !

Thanks Dahl

Dave Halter
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure if they're the same ones that Don uses, but Rockler currently has them on sale. I bought some this summer, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18429&filter=Rockler%20Outlet

Don Carter
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Dahl:
Same here.;) I order these from Penn State Industries. I think about $7.25 for ten.
All the best.

Don

dennis kranz
11-27-2008, 8:34 AM
Also call Woodturningz. They do not list them on there site but I have bought several times from them.
Dennis

John Landis
11-29-2008, 11:44 AM
If you're looking for cheap stopper, try what I do. I turn the stopper between centers, with a 3/4" tenon 3/8" diameter at the end (I use a 3/8" open end wrench to get the diameter just right). I then buy #7 corks at the hardware store for 30 cents each, drill a 3/8" hole in the center for the tenon, and glue it in. Works great.
Not as fancy as stainless steel and silicon, but works just as well and looks more natural.