PDA

View Full Version : Best Band Saw Book??

Jerry Olexa
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
What do you guys reco as the best book out there on Band Saws? I'm new owner of Jet Band saw and the leaflet that came with it doesn't say much, I'll buy what you recommend. Thanks Jerry:)
P.S. I'm fairly new to the forum and will properly introduce myself once I learn the photo techniques, etc. Be patient. Work in progress.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Welcome Jerry! As soon as my new shop is finished, I'll be buying my first bandsaw. Therefore, I don't know that I'm qualified to answer you question but I'll be interested in the answers you get from other members! Again........Welcome!

Jim DeLaney
06-05-2004, 11:43 PM
For a basic bandsaw book, with a lot of info as well as some patterns, projectes, etc., I like Mark Duginske's "Band Saw Handbook.Sterling Publishing, ISBN 0-8069-6398-0.

It was written about fifteen years ago, and is pretty much based around the 14" Delta (& clones). Lotta good info in it...

David Rose
06-06-2004, 3:34 AM
I agree with Jim. But watch. There is a Bandsaw Handbook Bench Reference that appears to be about the same thing. It is also by Mark Duginske, but for some reason is very redundant. All the material could go in one or two chapters. The Bandsaw Handbook that is not the bench reference is very good.

David

Jim Guy
06-06-2004, 6:14 AM
"The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird is my choice. It covers a wide range and is just enjoyable reading. Give it a try.

Bob Marino
06-06-2004, 8:22 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either Lonnie Bird's "The Bandsaw Book" or Duginske's "The Bandsaw Handbook." Getting both wouldn't be redundant either as they both approach slightly differently.

Bob

Mark Singer
06-06-2004, 8:57 AM
I have Mark Duginske's Bandsaw Handbook and really like it. But, Lonnie Bird is probably good also. Duginske is an inventor and has many ideas for accesories to you can make for different tasks. Ho owned "Fastrack" and recently sold it to Kreg....he also designed for Woodhaven. Another book of his I like is "Mastering Woodworking Machines"

Jim Becker
06-06-2004, 9:56 AM
Both Duginske's and Bird's books are great. But you also want the Iturra catalog which has a wealth of information on bandsaws. Suffolk Machinery (the Timberwolf blade folks) also has some great information on their web site.

Mark Singer
06-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Jim,
do you have a link for Iturra Design?

Ken Garlock
06-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I have Lonnie Bird's book, and it is OK if you have never seen a band saw. OTOH, it does have a couple how-to chapters in the back of the book. Once you get past having seen a band saw, get a copy of the Iturra catalog, it is an education in itself. The catalog is 2/3 tutorial, and 1/3 sales. Iturra does not have a website, but they are very nice people who can be found at 1-888-722-7078. They also have a blade tensioning gauge at a reasonable price, a device that every band saw owner should have, IMO.

Jerry Olexa
06-06-2004, 4:40 PM
Just visited Amazon and ordered the two books! Thank you again. Jerry:)

Chris Padilla
06-07-2004, 12:53 AM
Jim,
do you have a link for Iturra Design?
1-888-722-7078

Unfortunately, they do not have a web site, Mark. Just call and order your catalog and then be prepared to wait a while for it. I ordered one about 3-4 weeks ago I think.

Dan Stuewe
06-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Thought I'd jump in here for a more specific question. I've never owned a bandsaw, but would like to. I kinda thought I'd start with a Delta clone, but lately I've been thinking I'd just start with a welded steel frame band saw (still don't know about Grizzly vs. MiniMax). Anyway, it was mentioned that "The Bandsaw Handbook" was geared to the cast iron frame bandsaw and I'm wondering if the difference between a cast iron frame and steel frame is significant enough to make these books a bit less than optimal for different designs. Or is bandsaw a bandsaw when it comes to most of the information in these books?

Thanks,

James Carmichael
06-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Both Duginske's and Bird's books are great. But you also want the Iturra catalog which has a wealth of information on bandsaws. Suffolk Machinery (the Timberwolf blade folks) also has some great information on their web site.

Ditto Jim's suggestion, the Iturra catalog is outstanding, lot's of good info for free.

I'm a BS newbie as well (I should specify "Band Saw" before I get accused lying :D ). The Duginske book is good, but I think it could have used some better editing, it's kind of a tough read, IMO. I'm swamped with reading right now but will probably check the local libraries for the Lonnie Bird book.

Almost forgot, Jerry, I found the Duginske book at Overstock.com for $10.49.

Steven Wilson
06-07-2004, 1:19 PM
...Anyway, it was mentioned that "The Bandsaw Handbook" was geared to the cast iron frame bandsaw and I'm wondering if the difference between a cast iron frame and steel frame is significant enough to make these books a bit less than optimal for different designs. Or is bandsaw a bandsaw when it comes to most of the information in these books?

Most of the information applies regardless of frame design. The main information is on selecting the appropriate blade for the task, aligning the guides, and basic alignment and adjustment of the blade. That information is applicable to both. Mark likes to spend a fair amount of copy on making the wheels coplaner. This is more of an issue with bandsaw wheels with pronounced crowns. With wheels that are flat you don't need to make them coplaner. As for which steel frame bandsaw I really like the MM series from MiniMax as they have very heavy steel frames, lot's of mass, and are very substantial machines; unlike the typical lighter weight Asian imports (Grizzly, Jet, et al) and less expensive Italian saws. Not that the lighter weight saws are bad, they do have a nice price point, it's just that the heavier weight saws are better. In the MiniMax line up you have the light weight "S" series (S14, S16, and S45) that are made by Meber (IIRC, S14, S16) and Minimax (S45). These saw compete very favorably on features/price with Jet, Grizzly, and Powermatic (the S14 is a teriffic small saw with a nice feature set). The MM series bandsaws from MiniMax (M16, M20, M24,...) are made by Centauro and are really the class leader. Of course if you can find a Northfield for cheap then you'll have the best of the best.

Jerry Olexa
06-07-2004, 9:00 PM
WOW!! the Iturra catalog arrived today (ordered about a month ago) and it looks OUTSTANDING!! Full of much useful info on BSs. Looking forward to a few night's pleasant and informative reading!! THANKS guys for a great tip!! Jerry:)

Byron Trantham
06-07-2004, 10:12 PM

Bingo Jim! I kept ready the thread waiting to see Iturra. It's free has has more info than any book I have purchased - that is, useful information. :D

Call 1-888-642-2802 and them [Iturra Design] to send one.

Chris Parks
04-01-2014, 7:29 PM
I find that YouTube is a great resource for questions that new users of machines or tools have. You have to sort out the useful from the not so useful bit it surpasses the written word in so many ways. Bandsaws for instance have many good videos, this one is excellent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

He knows his stuff and dispells some myths. I think the biggest learning issue and one I still have trouble with is knowing what blades do what. Try This..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bVGvMCt9Fo

Have fun, a bandsaw is the most useful machine in a workshop.