PDA

View Full Version : Help with oops

Jay Yoder
11-25-2008, 9:28 PM
Tonight, while prepping the fence pieces for my drill press table on my router table, i made a major oops. Instead of running the laminate cover face down, i made the mistake of running it against the fence. The cutter really messed up the top layer...i see my options as follows...either start the whole thing over, or try to contact cement another layer of laminate over the existing layer. Is the latter a good idea? Will contact cement adhere the back of laminate to the face of the other laminate.

Jay Yoder
11-25-2008, 9:30 PM
see pics below...

Bob Parker
11-25-2008, 9:33 PM
it doesn't look like a very complex or valuable piece, can't you just redo it? seems like that'd be faster than trying to glue a laminate on it.

Chris Padilla
11-25-2008, 9:39 PM
Looks like all the work I do! ;) I think I'd redo it...live and learn.

Steve Kohn
11-25-2008, 9:44 PM
Most contact cements will unbond with heat. If the underlying wood is OK you can heat the laminate with a heat gun and pull it off. Then you can relaminate.

Ted Shrader
11-25-2008, 9:48 PM
Jay -

Give heat a shot.

Ted
Most contact cements will unbond with heat. If the underlying wood is OK you can heat the laminate with a heat gun and pull it off. Then you can relaminate.

Jay Yoder
11-25-2008, 9:55 PM
Hmmm, i had never thought of the heat trick! Thanks, i will try that next. It is just the laminate that is screwed up! Hope that works...maybe should pick up some 4/4 just in case tho...Thanks alot!! I guess now i have excuse to buy heat gun!

Fred Belknap
11-26-2008, 8:01 AM
Try a hair dryer.

Lee Schierer
11-26-2008, 8:29 AM
Try a hair dryer.

You can also heat it under the broiler in the oven, but watch it closely so you don't melt it. I suggest doing this after the Turkey has cooked!

Tom Hargrove
11-26-2008, 9:12 AM
I have used an iron and damp rag to remove the laminate with success. The steam seems to work faster than direct heat. This works with both solvent and water based adhesives.

Jay Yoder
11-26-2008, 10:01 PM
You can also heat it under the broiler in the oven, but watch it closely so you don't melt it. I suggest doing this after the Turkey has cooked!

Good point! Wife may freak if i told her that turkey could not go in because oven was occupied...

Jay Yoder
11-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I think i will try iron first (wish i would have thought about that before buying a heat gun, oh well...)...will post results! Thanks for all who replied!

Leo Graywacz
11-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Go to your hardware store ad get som MEK. It will melt the contact cement and release the damaged pc. Wipe things down and let it dry. Start over.

Jay Yoder
11-27-2008, 9:06 AM
First let me start by saying, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We have alot to be thankful for! At the risk of sounding silly, I am thankful for all my "cyber buddies" who always have a good word of advice to share on this site!

Second, let me say thanks for the input on the solution to my bout with brain freeze. Tom, I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm! Only took like 5 mins and sure enough, the damaged laminate peeled right off with no issue!

Now i guess the next question is do i need to strip the old adhesive off with acetone or lacquor thinner, or would it be ok to just apply another layer of contact cement and proceed? thanks everyone!

Chip Lindley
11-27-2008, 2:22 PM
Yes yes! Wipe off as much old contact cement as possible with lacquer thinner. The flatter the fence piece, the smoother your laminate will end up. When the pieces are freshly laminated, clamp them face to face for a few hours. Any lumps or bumps beneath will neutralize!!

Lets get this drill press fence finished and move on to thinking of ways to USE it! Happy TG!

Leo Graywacz
11-27-2008, 2:22 PM
Better to strip it off or you might get high spots from the old adhesive.

Greg Deakins
11-27-2008, 6:12 PM
you might try xylene. You can get it at the big box. For the future though, if the piece was laminated well the first time, a good sanding and removing the dust would of been fine to layer over.

Jay Yoder
11-27-2008, 9:54 PM
I ended up using Acetone to remove the residue, then let it dry and reapplied the contact cement and then glued em together. Looks like the project was saved!! I guess the true test will be if it is still together five years from now!! Thanks!!!